Playing to a click live with samples

January_Embers

• Members

The drummer for my band has been playing to click live for a while now and just runs it off his iPod and we have no trouble with that whatsoever. However, for one of our new songs, there's some samples and piano parts that we want to play through the PA and of course still want to play with a click (especially since we'll need to stay on tempo so that samples cue up in the right spot). What would be the best way to go about this other than triggers?

Someone recommended to me to make a track that has the click in one channel (left) and the tracks in the right but how does that help since obviously we don't want the audience to hear the click. I'm sure as soon as someone explains this to me, it'll be a total :facepalm: moment but I'm lost here . . .

• Members

You take the stereo track and split it. Send the click side to your drummers headphones or whatever and the sample side to the PA. The PA only sees the mono samples and won't play the clicks that your drummer is getting. A stereo track is just two mono tracks at the same time on opposite sides, you're just splitting them and sending them two different places.

• Members

We just went to the studio Monday to create live tracks also. The method you are mentioning is exactly how I do it.

Creating the stereo tracks

1) Pan all "Music" to the left

2) Pan the click all the way right

3) Put on Ipod.

That's the easy part. The next thing you need is some sort of system to "split" the single coming out of your Ipod. I use a 4 channel mixing board I control from behind the drums. (I also use this for my in-ear monitors and click track separate from the tracks).

Basically, I have a cable system (read: several cables) that goes from the ipod headphone jack, then splits to 2 1/4 inputs into a channel on my mixing board. Then you use ONLY the Left channel output and send that to the house (or monitors/PA/etc...).

That should get you what you need. I know some people may have other ways or better equipment, but I work "cheap."

DB

• Members

We just went to the studio Monday to create live tracks also. The method you are mentioning is exactly how I do it.

Creating the stereo tracks

1) Pan all "Music" to the left

2) Pan the click all the way right

3) Put on Ipod.

That's the easy part. The next thing you need is some sort of system to "split" the single coming out of your Ipod. I use a 4 channel mixing board I control from behind the drums. (I also use this for my in-ear monitors and click track separate from the tracks).

Basically, I have a cable system (read: several cables) that goes from the ipod headphone jack, then splits to 2 1/4 inputs into a channel on my mixing board. Then you use ONLY the Left channel output and send that to the house (or monitors/PA/etc...).

That should get you what you need. I know some people may have other ways or better equipment, but I work "cheap."

DB

Nothing cheap about that:

It's basically the same as anybody in that situation does, just with various mixers, and in some cases, instead of sourcing from an iPod/mP3 player, they use a computer.

I currently play this way with my primary band:

All backing tracks and click are played via software on our frontman's iBook laptop. Separate 'synth' (backing tracks) and click signals go from the laptop to a rack mixer. The rack mixer has multiple outs - currently one set goes to the FOH/PA and does not include click; one set feeds a headphone amp, which in turn feeds the frontman and my in-ear systems.

We also split/pass all vocal and guitar/bass mics through this system to feed out in-ears as well, but if you only need to get click and sequences to your drummer and avoid sending click to the house PA it's the same principle:

1) hard pan click to one side, sequences to the other

2) split the signal (L & R) into 2 channels on a small mixer

3) send sequence channel ONLY to FOH PA

4) Send click and sequences to drummer

• Members

In my band(s), we're running a laptop with an RME Fireface 400. We give the PA 4 cables (backing track L/R, guitar 1, guitar 2), and the drummer has a personal headphone mix that has a click and the backing track.

Works like a charm! But its a bit technical to set up.

• Members

Thank you so much everyone! I guess my main problem was figuring out how the split the signal. So, it sounds like the cheapest and easiest way would be to have a small little mixer that receives the output from the computer and split it there? Are there any pieces of equipment that essentially consist of one stereo input and left and right outputs? I looked and looked but it seems any splitters duplicate the same sound and send it in two directions instead of separating it . . .

• Members

January Embers -

I was actually wondering the same question last night at rehearsal as I want to remove all the extra cables I have. I will be checking into that this weekend and i'll let you know if I come up with something.

DB

• Members

I picked up a little 4-input PA today that has RCA inputs as well and I'm just using an 1/8th inch to RCA cable and then running only the left main output. Maybe not the best or most elegant solution but it works for now. Is there maybe a better way than that or should that get me by well enough for now?

Archived