I'm going to get to work on soundproofing the music room!!

JMR

• Members

Because consistently that room pisses me off when recording.

It's just so bright. Not super reverby, just too bright, you know what I mean? So I'm going to ask my mommy for some old, thick blankets and I'm going to first soundproof the drum area. It's going to be cool and I'll take pictures.

If you've got any cool tips, they would be appreciated.

• Members

First, I'd ditch nylon tips if that's your thing. Second, if this is only for recording you can put some foam windscreens, or a sock over the mics. Third, cut up a large foam mattress top into squares, put them all over especially above you on the ceiling. Forth, wear ear protection. Fifth, make sure you have thick carpet under your kit.

Blankets are a great idea, whatever you can use that's absorbent. Also keep in mind if the room is small it's going to have a natural high tone, and will be somewhat hard to get great low tones from the drums. That's why you see most studios put the drums in the largest room, the bass needs it to travel.

• Members

Semantics; soundproofing is not the same as acoustic treatment!

Ideally you would buy some bundles of 2'x4'x2" owens-corning 703, some 4" wide 5/8" thick pine strips, a roll of black acoustic fabric... and make some proper acoustic panels.... but blankets work too I guess.

• Members

Semantics; soundproofing is not the same as acoustic treatment!

Ideally you would buy some bundles of 2'x4'x2" owens-corning 703, some 4" wide 5/8" thick pine strips, a roll of black acoustic fabric... and make some proper acoustic panels.... but blankets work too I guess.

definitely get some oc703 to take care of the higher frequencies. maybe build a few bass traps too.

some good prices for oc703

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--Fiberglass-and-Mineral-Wool-Batts-and-Boards--106.html

• Members

First, I'd ditch nylon tips if that's your thing. Second, if this is only for recording you can put some foam windscreens, or a sock over the mics. Third, cut up a large foam mattress top into squares, put them all over especially above you on the ceiling. Forth, wear ear protection. Fifth, make sure you have thick carpet under your kit.

Blankets are a great idea, whatever you can use that's absorbent. Also keep in mind if the room is small it's going to have a natural high tone, and will be somewhat hard to get great low tones from the drums. That's why you see most studios put the drums in the largest room, the bass needs it to travel.

the room is inside the basement.

This is what the room looks like (yea, i know it's messy. That will be fixed, as well as some rearrangeing, etc after my brother is at purdue):

25145_1318804181828_1582475810_786636_59

25145_1318804221829_1582475810_786637_10

25145_1318804261830_1582475810_786638_12

(ironically, the posters are mostly of bands neither me or my brother really listen to anymore...)

I use ear protection and wood tips. I'll try the sock over mic thing and I DO have an old mattress I could use, although it's a baby mattress and pretty small. The old thrift shop by my house is gone, sadly.

• Members

okay, so my brother and I want to build or buy basstraps (as that's what the room needs most of all). Should we build or buy? Any could sites for how to build?

And any other general acoustic treatment and sound proofing advice would be great, too.

• Members

Ideally you would buy some bundles of 2'x4'x2" owens-corning 703, some 4" wide 5/8" thick pine strips, a roll of black acoustic fabric... and make some proper acoustic panels....

Make some 2'x4' frames out of the 4" wide pine strips, and place two sheets of the 703 in them, so they make a 4" thick panel with a wooden frame. Cover them with the fabric for appearance and safety's sake (703 is pretty nasty stuff, handle it with gloves and wear a dust mask).

Make 4 of them to hang across the corners. The negative space behind the panels will act as a decent bass trap. You can make four more to hang in the same fashion across the wall-ceiling boundaries if you'd like. That would soak up a lot of errant low end, and would more than likely quell a lot of the standing waves. You can make a bunch more even to treat the bare walls with. Be sure to leave an air gap (2" or more) behind the panels on the walls... that also acts as a bass trap. Not nearly as effective as mounting across a corner but it helps.

EDIT: 703 is tricky to find, you won't find it at Lowe's or Rona or whatever {censored}. Find an insulation contractor, or a dedicated construction supply store and ask if they can order you in bales of 703. They come in 2'x4' panels that are 2" thick (or 1", or 4", etc.), and cost maybe $100-$150 per pack (of 12)

Failing all that, go find an old carpet, roll it up, and stand it up in the corner. You'll be surprised how well that'll work as a bass trap. Leave the couch in there, that's soaking up some low end as well.

Archived