vintage ludwig 60s snare

tamabanger

• Members

i was looking around for a few things because my wonderful gf decided she wants to buy me a snare (for some reason she won't buy me cymbals :cry: which is what i really want/need) but hey, a free snare is a free snare and well i saw this beauty LUDWIG APRIL 4TH 1960 TRANSITION BADGE SNARE at my local shop and wanted a second opinion on the price and if its worth it. i trust the drumguy at the store, really cool honest, helpful dude but i figured it couldnt hurt to ask someone here.

thx in advance

• Members

very nice drum - asking entirely too much. My early 60's Pioneer cost a little less than 200 IIRC and while not a transition badge it is pretty early & clean.

Also, those 6 luggers can be a real challenge to tune - I agree, if you want a vintage ludwig wood snare for that kind of money look at 8 lug Jazzfests. Should be able to get one for around 300 or so.

• Members

damn it, you guys had to go and use reason with me :facepalm: ITS JUST SO PURDY!:love: but i guess you are right i could probably get something better for that price or just something just as good cheaper. i really just wanted a snare that would stand out ahahaha yes i am vain but arent we all??

• Members

Pretty high for a 6 lugger, you could get two amazing used snares at that price. The other night I heard such a custom beauty, solid stave with rerings 5.5x14. Dry but articulate with great snare response, no muffling and extremely dynamic. It made me think I need a super high quality wood snare.

• Members

Agreed with the other suggestions here about the black beauty, or save some bucks with the chrome over brass version. Those are under 4 bills.

If you really want a vintage 6 lug Ludwig Pioneer, I've got one in natural maple (refinished) I could sell you for less than half of the one in that ad.

Archived