electronic or acoustic for first drum set

Ripfence

• Members

The drum feel is better with a acoustic set and cymbals.The sound you can adjust on the electronic,don't know about those electronic cymbals.I'm not a fan of the e-kits,but understand about space limitations.If sound,volume,is the big factor I'd buy mutes.The cymbals on the e-kits are sub-par to me....just my 2 cents

• Members

As a player of both, but currently e drums, I would say it depends. I think the question you are asking is not really the way to look at it though.

This may sound strange but, feel should be one of the LEAST important factors. The reason I say this is because the feel is different. And as a player you just adjust to the feel of whatever your playing.

I held out so long on e kits cause I was so worried about "the feel" and what it would do to my drumming...etc... I was so {censored}ing stupid. It doesn't matter. Pick one to learn on and when you do eventually go to the other the difference won't be that bad. You just learn to adjust, and it doesn't take that long.

The more important question is what do you want to do.

Just simply learn to play? Record? On your own? Play with others?

I would say that if you can get away with it from a noise perspective and you see yourself jamming, then try to start with real kit.

If noise is an issue that can't be overcome then personally I think an e kit (especially with third party triggered software....what I do) is much nicer than a real kit with muffles.

Also if you want to do desk top recording, software triggered MIDI e drumming is amazing. I'd probably never go back to real drums at this point, just because e drumming is pretty much 99% of the way there. And the options for different drum sounds, mics, rooms etc.... are nearly endless. Unless you're rich, an acoustic drummer can't even come close.

• Members

I'd like to learn to play without disturbing the whole neighborhood much less the whole house.

They've already dealt with my guitar, bass and keyboard playing (which I do as quietly as possible) I certainaly can go acoustic but I thought I'd try to spare them some discomfort while I try to learn. If it matters my budget is probably limited to $1,500 or less

• Members

Some things to think about:

Many will say the vdrums don't sound as good as real drums, which to some extent is true. However, if your primary purpose is to learn how to play drums, then it really shouldn't matter what the drums sound like. The main point is to be able to get your hands and feet doing what they are supposed to do. Practice makes perfect, and if vdrums allow you to practice anytime you want, then it's a good thing.

That being said, part of learning how to play drums is learning how to tune and maintain them, which is not something you'll learn by using vdrums. But as SC has mentioned above, it kind of depends on what your ultimate goal is.

I would say if you're planning to record or just putter around at home, then vdrums are the way to go.

If you are planning to eventually play out in a band, then acoustic drums are the way to go.

just my opinion - your mileage may vary

• Members

I started out on an electric kit in 2008..

I am definitely in favor of starting with one, but you WILL want an acoustic kit for playing with a band when you are ready.

But it is definitely less intimidating starting with an eKit, especially at first when you are in suck mode, you can suck with headphones on, and nobody will hear it.

When I made the move to acoustics after 6 months practice, I played a 10 inch snare, than moved to a 12, to 13 and eventually graduated to a 14 inch snare. Was used to the pads being so much smaller..

• Members

I started on e-kit also and still use it for my practice at home. For band I have acoustic kits for practice and shows. I feel like I get the best of both worlds.

Going the e-kit route from the get-go is fine and dandy, but as mentioned before, you gotta learn how to tune drums eventually because there will come a time when you get behind an acoustic kit in front of people and it might sound terrible.

• Members

The tones out of e-drums have come along way. my friend has an older version of the Roland TDS4. The cymbals are obviously not high-end Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, etc...but they are better than ZXT's or similar lower end cymbals.

Having said that, I'm still not a fan of e-drums because the feel is much different. But I agree, to learn how to play...or if you are in an apartment situation, they are better than nothing.

Archived