Digging a new CD/DVD: Zac Brown Band/ Pass the Jar: Live at Fox Theater Atlanta

twosticks

• Members

Howdy, I've heard a few of Zac Brown Band songs on the radio for awhile now and is one the first CD's of a New Artist that I've picked up in a LONG while.

Wal-Mart is the only CD store in town now and they either had one of his studio CDs or "Pass the Jar" which was two live CDs AND a DVD of the show for around $17 as well! Awesome! I have always liked the mild and tender country songs they do like "Chicken Fried" and "Toes" and such, but these guys can cook as well! The drummer has great chops and blew me away on some new to me songs, plus they do a faster than hell version of "Devil Went Down to Georgia".

The standout's on this are a cover of "Can't You See" with Kid Rock singing, their known country hits and a cover of the The Band's 1969 hit "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" which is worth the price of the whole thing in it's self! I looked for video links from the same venue or ones that were better than a cell phone video from the back of the crowd without hardly any luck.

This is one of the few links I did find from the show with good video and sound. It's one of their country hits "Free" which is good as well. This is the kind of music I tend towards now along with other stuff. http://www.hulu.com/watch/151047/zac-brown-band-free-feat-joey-and-rory

I just like how Zac Brown Band is great blend of James Taylor/Eagles/Alison Kraus/Jimmy Buffet/Dave Matthews. Hope you enjoy. Plus if you already know this band, remember I'm slow to catch on. I say :thu: on the Live "Pass the Jar" CD.

Just found a cool link to upbeat song with cool drums chops "Who Knows" http://www.hulu.com/watch/151048/zac-brown-band-who-knows chops really come out at 4:30 mark

"Can't You See" Cover with Kid rock http://www.hulu.com/watch/151046/zac-brown-band-cant-you-see-feat-kid-rock

• Members

I have to stand up and agree with this post 100%.

I had the good fortune of being at that show and have known the guys in the band a long time. There was actually about 3-4 more songs that got cut from the show including a cover of Kid Rock's "Warewolves in Sweet Home Alabama" (aka All Summer Long) with Kid Rock immediately following "Can't You See." I hate the song but was blown away!

All those cats came together from a lot of different bands around Atlanta and Athens and are just an incredibly talented group. Chris Fryer (their drummer) is a MONSTER player that is really unassuming. Kind of like Carter Beauford, always has a smile on his face...

I'm not a Country fan (in general) but am a huge fan of ZBB. If you haven't checked them out, do so... It's almost impossible to be disappointed cause there is something for everyone since they don't REALLY pick a genre. (Twosticks' mashup of artists was right on!)

It's nice to see them getting the love they deserve!

DB

• Members

Thanks drumdb! You have some cool friends then! I have heard some of their country songs on the radio and really liked those and the rest just blew me away. I hope people will really just check the clips out. ZBB is NOT all country. In fact most of today's country is what was called rock when I was growing up. Or would be like thinking that all Dave Matthew Songs were like "Crash"

I too, have been so burned out on the "Can't You See" song as well since I've had so many guitarist ask if I know it and crowd request, plus it seems like whatever band I'm playing that in has to stretch it really far out that I keep waiting for the end. But Rock and ZBB did a damn fine job on it, is one of the standouts!

What gets me about their drummer too is that you hear all these fills and sounds and it doesn't look like he's hardly moving! Very Fluid. I was playing along to the CD the first night and were so many songs that I had to just stop and pick another song!

The video I found are good Hula ones that are just like what I saw on the DVD. Check them out!

Archived