Ludwig Element SE, Epic, and Keystone?

JMR

• Members

I know this is yet another thread, but yeah.

Anyone own any of these yet? They all seem pretty cool. That Epic X-over striped looks really, really cool, especially that New Hollywood (if only it had a 16" floor tom instead). Probably giving me more GAS than any other kit right now. The finishes on the Element SE Retros are really cool as well. Keystones... just cool. I'd really love to pick up a 24x14 kick from any of these! Maybe even a 12x8 tom and and 16" floor tom too!

• Members

Have you joined DFO yet? There are several people there playing these. Two guys off the top of my head with the Element SE drums (although production on those was limited so you would have to find them in stock somewhere), one guy who loves the X-over striped kit he has, and several Keystone owners.

JR Frondelli says that the Keystone drums are the first new drums he has wanted to buy in years. I think they are probably great drums but not the right tone for me - too punchy and straight-rock oriented. The SE drums and X-over striped drums would be a lot warmer, more toward the vintage tone.

• Members

I'd do just about anything for an X -Over or SE with 22x14 kick (or 24" if I can find it), 12x8 tom and 16x16 floor tom. In fact, That's what I tentatively plan to do, if I can find a good online store that has individual pieces. I like the sound and the style.

And for people who think that vintage-style drums are just for classic rock, etc, I know a guy in a fairly heavy band (hardcore punk, powerviolence type stuff) and his kit is, from what I've seen, entirely vintage.

Archived