Looking around for a new ride

JMR

• Members

I'll almost definitely be buying it used.

My current ride is a Paiste PST 5 20" medium ride, and it just doesn't get the job done. It's not bad sounding, but it sounds really plain and lifeless.

My crash ride is an 18" Sabian AA Sound Control. Sounds huge. I love it. Whatever I get needs to mix well with this one.

I'm looking for something 21" to 22" and I'm pretty open to suggestions. I'd like for it to be crash-able and have good stick definition. Value is key, I don't have a whole lot of money to throw around.

last.fm/user/jamreu

I play mostly hardcore punk, dub reggae type stuff, and post rock. Versatility is a must.

• Members

I have two Zildjian A-series Rock Rides: 20" and 21". I find the 20" to be a little louder and more wash-y, but they both have fantastic stick definition and a really loud bell. Might be a bit heavy for crashing, though. I paid $100 (used, Craigslist) for each.

• Members

The Sabian Stage Rides are very versatile. Good for crashing, regular sticking, shoulder striking the bow (I call it 'smashing') and a killer bell.

I have the 20" Stage Ride and I mostly crash it in my band, but I use it for recordings of lots of styles.

Check 'em out, there's a 21" and HHX model as well.

• Members

what sounds best to YOU and YOUR ears? i've used a 22" Paiste 2002 for about 25 years now and love the sound of it. but that doesn't mean i'm not looking at other sounds. it really depends on the type of style or gigs that you may do on a continuing basis and what works for that particular application. that 24" heavy bell ride might not be the tool of choice if the gig may call for a medium 20" sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm going to have to agree with this.

I would say go for something from the sabian AA or AAX series if you want to get the most bang for your buck and still have a workable sound. I hated my b8 pro ride that I had for my years and eventually settled on an AAX stage ride that does the job just fine.

• Members

It's far from cheap, but the K Hybrid is the only cymbal in years that has made it onto my "man I want one!" list.

On a more affordable note, I LOVE my Sabian Tight Ride from the 90's. You can get them cheap on ebay. The only downside, if you can call it that, is that the bell is not very big. If, however, your aim is good, the bell still sounds great, as does the cymbal in general. It's been my #1 ride since about 1994.

Archived