24 to 20

cdawg

• Members

so, when i pieced my rogers kit together, i bought all of the shells separately, due to cost. plus, i knew i would have a ton of trouble finding lugs, so i didn't want to feel guilty putting different parts on them, drilling holes, etc. i still haven't rewrapped them, but i bought almost all of the shells i want:

13", 14" marching snare, 15"(marching snare as a tom,) 16" ft, 20" bd and 24" bd. i think i might get a smaller tom, as well, and maybe a 22" bd, just to have another option. (i do have a yamaha 22, so i'm not pressed to do so.)

all shells are powertone, besides the 14" snare, eagle badge.

ANYway, i just switched my 24" hardware to my 20" kick in an effort to fit my toms better. put remo vintage emp on the batter and fiberskyn amb on the front. nothing inside. prolly going to put a 4" port @ 4 o'clock, but i'll try it w/o first.

i have a ton of stuff on craigs, so hopefully i can sock some cabbage away. i really want to get these babies skinned. but that's gonna pose the big question: color? leaning toward my first kit's wrap, blue sparkle. also happens to be my 20" wrap. hmmm...

• Members

yeah, right?? comparing my 22 to the 24 is just silly! got it finished, but forgot to shoot pix :(

will take finish pix, tho.

now can place my 13 over the bd, center. amazing!! that's a first! now have the 15 and 16 down, very close. i was playing a ton of cymbals, now just playing a 19" crash, 17" crash and a 20" ride, along with 16" hats. (ditched my 22" china and 16, 17 crashes.) basic is good!

hard part: cutting my bd beaters so they don't rub when i lowered them to hit center on the 20". hacked and jigged one for a 45 mins to only get thru half of one! new steel cutting circ saw blade= super quick work!!

• Members

A just-above-center hitter on my 20" as well.

And. . .I vote for the blue sparkle.

i'm leaning toward blue sparkle, as well. ooooh, maybe black diamond. DAMN!!

as for off-center vs. center:

i've always made sure it lined-up. prolly wouldn't make that big of a deal. (keep in mind when it was hitting high, i was also scraping, so i never hit it hard.) but one big diff, balance. gonna have to play around with the beater weights to even out the balance. shorter= big difference in feel.

• Members

update.

i was going to port the fiberskyn, but i don't think i'm gonna. first, it looks bitchin'. second, after playing it for a while (with the shorter beater,) i've noticed that it doesn't bounce like my 24 did. i've noticed i play further back on the pedal, as well. i added more tension to the spring, and it keeps the beater off the head as well. (i used to bury it.) and, man, does that bd resonate!! i'm not as fast with it as i used to be, but i'm sure i'll adapt. i intend on moving the weight on the beater up the shaft, too.

Archived