I HATE SMALL VENUES!!!! (venting...)

melvinspeed

• Members
Remember that phrase from
The Untouchables
, when Sean Connery goes "You don't bring a knife to a gun fight?"

Actually, and I definitely CAN do this from memory...the line is "They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue.[THAT's the Chicago way?]"
:cop:

So if you insist on using the quote, it would seem you're actually advising the OP to play louder...
:thu:

• Members

It's not cool to turn around someone else's thread on myself, but I'll do it anyway:

I must be the weirdest drummer on the planet. Only once have I been told I was playing too loud, and that was in a practice. I need to harness my inner gorilla apparently. Having said that, we play tiny irish pubs mostly and blasting everyone out of the bar would be the opposite of the intended effect.

When the drummer plays "quietly", which I'll call "Normally", in a small venue, the drums are still loud. I must be fortunate to have a lead guitarist who is told after the first song at every show he needs to turn up. Also, small gig means taking smaller equipment (not a comment on penises, but that would've been funny).

The worst I've seen was a guy in a similar situation to the OP (hard rock band in a tiny space) who insisted on micing up the drums, and then on beating them like they owed him money. I'm pretty sure that single event damaged my left ear beyond repair haha

• Members

Also, tiny pubs want us to do acoustic sets, especially during the week. Guess what drum kit I take with me? None, because I don't fkn go. Let the guitarists have their fun. I don't need to be there for that nonsense. I'm not playing Streams of Whiskey on bongos. I could bust out a bodhran, but I'm not a fan, and also not that good at it. Our piper has the small pipes, which are relatively quiet, so he's set too.

• Members

Actually, if you remove Duct tape immediately after the gig (and I mean as soon as the gig is done, not when you get home), there is no residue.

...oh, and of course, I'm talking about a fresh roll of Duct tape, not one that has been baking in someone's car trunk for years.

I've used silicone spray to remove adhesive from all kinds of surfaces. Even the dried on years old crusted stuff comes right off.

• Members
I really need to pick that one up for the collection!

It's an amazing movie, IMO.

A couple guys I play with quote it pretty regularly. Doesn't hurt that it takes place where we live...
The place where DeNiro does his baseball/'enthusiams' speech? My brother had his wedding reception in the exact same room.

Archived