Ludwig Epic review

ckcondon

• Members

Hey gang,

A while ago I asked if anyone had any experience with the Ludwig Epic series. Not much feedback.

I asked with a friend of mine who is a major label guy touring with a well-known country artist (He also just switched endorsements from Tama to Ludwig) what he thought of the Epics. He told me he really liked them and seriously considered them for his touring kit. The only downside to him was a lack of color choices.

So I found a very lightly used shell set in natural finish & smokey chrome lugs/hardware. The shells are 6-ply birch-maple-birch. 8",10",12" & 16" toms with a 20"X22" kick. I use my Pork Pie Big Black snare.

The drums are beautiful with a sweet clearcoat finish. and the hardware really makes them look top-line.

I replaced the stock heads with Evans EC2 coated on the toms and an EMAD2 on the kick.

All I can say is wow! I love these drums. I've played three shows with them and they sound great. I've also gotten a ton of compliments from fans, bandmates and other drummers.

So if you are in the market for a sub $1k drumset, take a good look at the Epics.

• Members

Thanks for posting this, CK! I've been thinking about Ludwigs alot lately. I've always been a Yamaha guy, but I keep hearing Ludwig kits that I really like, and based on my love of rock and funk, I'm thinking I may find my next set with a big ol' "L" on them.

• Members

My first new kit was a 1987 set of Ludwig Rocker II's. 10 piece double bass kit that was a beast to lug around. I kept them for years even when I wasn't playing. They stood in the corner of various apartments until I finally bought a house I could practice in.

As I got back into gigging, I realized that all those drums were overkill for the venues around here (not to mention I didn't have a tech anymore and had to set up everything myself!).

I sold them off to get a smaller kit, but drifted away from the brand and played Tama and PDP drums for years.

The Epics are the perfect drums for me now and could in all likelihood be my last set. Ahhh who the Hell am I kidding, I'll be like an old cat lady except with drums!

• Members

The Epics are the perfect drums for me now and could in all likelihood be my last set. Ahhh who the Hell am I kidding, I'll be like an old cat lady except with drums!

Good man!

What was that sweet looking red kit that was in your old avatar?

• Members

Still have those. That's my "Homemade Zep set". Maple Keller shells with drummaker.com lugs and jamminsam.com red sparkle wrap.

I built them for about $1200, but don't think I'll ever sell them. I don't gig with them very often because I'd be crushed if something happened to them.

Kinda like the guys who gig with Epiphones so they don't trash their vintage Les Pauls!

• Members

Nice review. I'm with you. . .started w/ Pearl (and loved 'em. .still have 'em). Got me a coupla vintage Ludwig kits ('63 and '69) and have used those pretty much exclusively for gigging. If I were to get a new kit, I'd seriously consider a Ludwig. I've heard more and more people playin' 'em and they sound great.

• Members

Still have those. That's my "Homemade Zep set". Maple Keller shells with drummaker.com lugs and jamminsam.com red sparkle wrap.

I built them for about $1200, but don't think I'll ever sell them. I don't gig with them very often because I'd be crushed if something happened to them.

Kinda like the guys who gig with Epiphones so they don't trash their vintage Les Pauls!

Can't blame you - those are BEAUTIFUL drums!

Archived