New Tom Setup.

MX DRUMMER

• Members

I think I figured out how to get those toms lower on the Yamaha set. Since they're turbo sizes they are really deep and have to be set high on top of the bass drum. I decided I'm going to drop one of the cymbals and take the tree out of the bass and mount them to the left of the bass drum so I can get them lower to help with sweeps, and just general ergonomics.

• Members

I play with that kind of offset.

24" bass drum, 12x9 and 14x10 mounted, offset to the left. Ride somewhat over the other 3/4 of the bass drum. Then 16x16 and 18x16 floor toms.

I love it because both my upper toms are RIGHT THERE over the snare, I don't have to stretch to hit either of those, and my floor toms are RIGHT THERE for where my right hand/arm will naturally fall.

It's not all that great when doing rolls from the 14 to the 16, but, most people don't care WHICH drum your hitting for a roll, so I usually will do a 12-14 or a 16-18, or do a parraddle pair with my left then finish it with the same for my right with the other hand...flawless...

Honestly, that's the ideal set up for me.

• Members

I wrote this thread at work while I was in my office ({censored}ter) doing some deep thinking about my technique, playing, etc. I am now at my house after having set it up and trying it out and I have to say I can't believe I never did this sooner. It feels 110% better an my fluidity is on point.

Archived