Question for all you guys that trigger samples live

chevybusa

• Members

Currently using the Yamaha DTX-12 Multi to do exactly this:

I play the on-board sounds and pre-loaded samples (ones I've created myself and ones I've grabbed elsewhere).

Samples load to internal memory via USB drive, and stay in the on-board memory, assigned to whichever kit/pad with exactly the same parameters you save them with.

Upon powering up, the samples are there: no 'load time' at all.

If I remember/understand correctly, the Roland SPD-S has the same capabilities, but uses SD cards for loading the samples in initially.

• Members

Currently using the Yamaha DTX-12 Multi to do exactly this:

I play the on-board sounds and pre-loaded samples (ones I've created myself and ones I've grabbed elsewhere).

Samples load to internal memory via USB drive, and stay in the on-board memory, assigned to whichever kit/pad with exactly the same parameters you save them with.

Upon powering up, the samples are there: no 'load time' at all.

If I remember/understand correctly, the Roland SPD-S has the same capabilities, but uses SD cards for loading the samples in initially.

FANTASTIC man that is {censored}ing epic!!!! Thank you so much dude!!!! Yeah since he's already got the TD6 and a bunch of Roland pads he's leaning towards Roland so if the SPD-S does the exact same thing as the Yamaha DTX-Multi 12 that'd be great since you can get one for half the price on eBay...Again man thank you so much!!!!

• Members

I would advise him that the likelihood of continuing to use the TD6 at this point is slim...anything I know of that does what he's looking to do for the most part will include an on-board sound engine already, and as they will be newer than the TD6, the quality of the sounds will be better on whatever he buys.

Both the DTX-12 and SPD-S allow for plugging in several external pads, however, so he'll get some use out of those.

For the record...I leaned heavily to the Roland as well, having far more history/experience with the company, and a pre-disposition to their pads vs. yamaha.

Ultimately chose the Yamaha because...loading from a f%&king SD card??? Are you kidding Roland? It's one of the bigger mis-steps possible, because you are limited in terms of how big (capacity) an SD card it will recognize/accept, and thus, more limited in how large your samples can be/how many samples you can load at a given time...and it's a non-upgradeable problem...

Semi-substantiated rumors for the past couple years are Roland plans to address this and a few other issues...by releasing an entirely new controller (i.e., not fixing the problems on the existing one).

In any case, have your friend do his due diligence on those options (and I'm sure there may be some others) and make an informed decision to best suit his needs. After a couple months of checking options out, I was THIS close to pulling the trigger on the Roland when I learned of the SD card limitations, spent another week or so weighing pros and cons and went with the Yamaha, and have been extremely happy with it since day 1. I use it on ~1/3 of my primary bands songs, and about 1/4-1/3 of the material in 2 side projects.

• Members

The SPD-S takes Compact Flash cards, I use a 4GB with mine and even with all the stuff I've loaded onto it, I have yet to run out of room or memory space.

Also, the SPD-S allows the use of 2 pads (chained together to one jack) and a footswitch (also one jack). For my setup, I use one external pad and the 9 built-in pads on the unit itself.

• Members

I would advise him that the likelihood of continuing to use the TD6 at this point is slim...anything I know of that does what he's looking to do for the most part will include an on-board sound engine already, and as they will be newer than the TD6, the quality of the sounds will be better on whatever he buys.

Both the DTX-12 and SPD-S allow for plugging in several external pads, however, so he'll get some use out of those.

For the record...I leaned heavily to the Roland as well, having far more history/experience with the company, and a pre-disposition to their pads vs. yamaha.

Ultimately chose the Yamaha because...loading from a f%&king SD card??? Are you kidding Roland? It's one of the bigger mis-steps possible, because you are limited in terms of how big (capacity) an SD card it will recognize/accept, and thus, more limited in how large your samples can be/how many samples you can load at a given time...and it's a non-upgradeable problem...

Semi-substantiated rumors for the past couple years are Roland plans to address this and a few other issues...by releasing an entirely new controller (i.e., not fixing the problems on the existing one).

In any case, have your friend do his due diligence on those options (and I'm sure there may be some others) and make an informed decision to best suit his needs. After a couple months of checking options out, I was THIS close to pulling the trigger on the Roland when I learned of the SD card limitations, spent another week or so weighing pros and cons and went with the Yamaha, and have been extremely happy with it since day 1. I use it on ~1/3 of my primary bands songs, and about 1/4-1/3 of the material in 2 side projects.

Right on man that is fantastic!!! Thank you so much for all the info man, it is a huge help, and I will definitely pass it along...he's leaning towards the Roland SPD-S because it's like 1/2 the cost of the Yammy, however if as you say it has zero loading time and you are happier with it and the whole card thing that may lead him in that direction. Thank you so much again man it is huge help!!!!!!

• Members

The SPD-S takes Compact Flash cards, I use a 4GB with mine and even with all the stuff I've loaded onto it, I have yet to run out of room or memory space.

Also, the SPD-S allows the use of 2 pads (chained together to one jack) and a footswitch (also one jack). For my setup, I use one external pad and the 9 built-in pads on the unit itself.

Right on man! Thank you so much for that info, as as I had posted the memory is a main concern, and he is leaning towards the SPDS cuz it's half the price (used) of a new SX. When you turn it on with the 4GB CF card in it, is there any loading time for everything to be set up? If so how much? Thank you so much again man I really appreciate it!

• Members

Right on man! Thank you so much for that info, as as I had posted the memory is a main concern, and he is leaning towards the SPDS cuz it's half the price (used) of a new SX. When you turn it on with the 4GB CF card in it, is there any loading time for everything to be set up? If so how much? Thank you so much again man I really appreciate it!

From pressing the power button to being usable is maybe 15-20 seconds, if even that. Once it's on, access is immediate. I use mine for some intros and for playing samples during songs and have had no lag issues, or even double triggering as I wail on my kit. Hope this helps ya out :)

• Members

From pressing the power button to being usable is maybe 15-20 seconds, if even that. Once it's on, access is immediate. I use mine for some intros and for playing samples during songs and have had no lag issues, or even double triggering as I wail on my kit. Hope this helps ya out
:)

Excellent! Right on man thank you so much that will make his day, and it definitely sounds like it's the way to go, thank you so much!!!

Archived