Pick your poison...er...ah...bass player...

fusionfunk

• Members

It's now been well over 20 years since I worked with a bass player, 30+ years since I worked with a good bass player. One guy who was truly amazing had really big ears (if you know what I mean), and could feel the music. He was amazingly fast, and always wanted to know my fills ahead of time so we could work them out together. Even the most basic fills, when matched note for note by a good bass player, can truly sound amazing.

• Members

Kmart: I feel ya. It's a matter of taste and pocket.

I too prefer the attitude of "I'll get it done with four, let's go."

Personally I prefer a bassist who can hold down a day job, preferably salaried and in the private sector.

• Members

I agree that you're entitled to your feelings, opinions and judgments. I just don't agree with this one. It makes no logical sense to me to judge a persons musical ability based off of the size of their equipment. Those parallels were essentially the same thought process. They weren't necessarily how you would react in that given situation but they were spot on in line with what you said as far as relevance to the situation. I guess I'm more surprised than anything. I just never really thought you of all people would have that kind of mentality. I see what gonzo is saying.

• Members

I agree that you're entitled to your feelings, opinions and judgments. I just don't agree with this one. It makes no logical sense to me to judge a persons musical ability based off of the size of their equipment. Those parallels were essentially the same thought process. They weren't necessarily how you would react in that given situation but they were spot on in line with what you said as far as relevance to the situation. I guess I'm more surprised than anything. I just never really thought you of all people would have that kind of mentality. I see what gonzo is saying.

I'd never try and speak for kmart, but I don't see him judging anyones musical ability on their choice of instrument. It appears to me he's judging their attitude and suitability for a particular project.

• Members

I'd never try and speak for kmart, but I don't see him judging anyones musical ability on their choice of instrument. It appears to me he's judging their attitude and suitability for a particular project.

This guy gets it.

• Members

Bassists....sore spot for me. At the risk of alienating some guys here, Ive personally never met one who wasnt a total flake. Sorry, its just personal experience.

1. I have found them to be non-committal to things like practice and gigs...

2. Many times their equipment is in {censored}ty shape, like twitchy cords and strings that need to be changed.

3. Some of them suffer from Geddy-itis, thinking that the bass has somehow eclipsed everyone else on stage in terms of importance. Sorry, no one is coming to hear a bass solo exept his wife and mom. My current guy is monstrously good, but he feels the need to prove it too many times a night. Just work with me, keep the groove, and stop showing off.

I can go on and on. Im on bassist 8 or 9 now, and good as he is, hes a pain in the ass.

The guy I want to play with does whats expected: holds the bottom steady with me, keeps a groove going, can flash when he has to, but for all intents and purposes plays for the damn song. Oh, and maybe have a {censored}ing job, a car, and show up on time.

Jeez, this little rant is going to bite me in the butt.

• Members

To say someone has a certain attitude because of the bass they play just blows me away!!! When I play bass I only use those 5 extra notes when neede,such as whole notes for melllow passages or endings.I guess the shock comes from the fact I never considered that anyone would "judge"the minset of a player simply by the bass they choose to play.

• Members

To say someone has a certain attitude because of the bass they play just blows me away!!! When I play bass I only use those 5 extra notes when neede,such as whole notes for melllow passages or endings.I guess the shock comes from the fact I never considered that anyone would "judge"the minset of a player simply by the bass they choose to play.

The point is, as a musician the gear you choose to play communicates a LOT to other musicians. That shouldn't be news to you.

Seems like you are surprised someone would judge you for your 5-string. Don't waste your energy worrying about it, and don't let someone's opinion of you and your gear get you down. You wouldn't like paying with them either, I promise.

No need to defend what you do with the B-string, either. Do what you do.

When you get old and jaded and cynical you tend to pick up signals in unlikely places, and interpreting them can save a lot of time. It is an insensitive process.

• Members

The point is, as a musician the gear you choose to play communicates a LOT to other musicians. That shouldn't be news to you...

When you get old and jaded and cynical you tend to pick up signals in unlikely places, and interpreting them can save a lot of time. It is an insensitive process.

This guy REALLY gets it.

• Members

1) If wrangler jeans are what someone wants to wear to an audition, they're more than welcome to wear them...so,
NOPE
(However if you're talking about potential performances, and Wranglers don't fit the image of the band, then yes, goodbye sir).

2) An SM58 is a perfectly acceptable vocal mic in any situation. ANY (It's the Jazz bass of microphones).
NOPE

3) If he can fit his gear in that car, I don't care what he drives.
NOPE

You can present a billion and a half examples and spend all day doing so if you want, however please don't mangle the language by calling them
parallels
, because using your sample above, they're not actually parallel
at all

Touching a sore spot am I?

Unable to view this from a completely detached perspective?

It's the only reason I can think of why someone would respond with such total hyperbole/drama.

That's ok; don't take it personally.

Here it is in simplest terms:

I've gone through more than enough auditions and start-ups to come to a conclusion that I hold to:

Gut instinct rules. Period.

Taking chances counter to instinct and giving the benefit of the doubt, in general, ends up being a total and complete waste of time more often than not.

I have been burned/disappointed/etc. far too many times to allow myself that luxury any more. If something, even the smallest thing, sets my Spidey sense tingling...chances are good that's the end of whomever.

Does that attitude mean that I'm POTENTIALLY missing out on amazing players, etc.?

Absolutely.

But the juice isn't worth the squeeze for me; I don't have the patience or desire to muck around with 'maybe' guys, nor have I for a long, long time.

Again, if I was to be in a situation where the goal was to have someone who SHOULD want to stretch out on bass, fine, bring your Kubicki or whatever and go to town.

But that's not the kind of stuff I play, nor where I want to play.

You make your decisions how you want to, I'll make mine how I want to.

If you need to walk away feeling superior because you're less judgemental than me, etc., please do so. It matters not to me.

At first, I kind of thought KMart was off base on this one. Hes an opinionated guy, knows what hes talking about, and isnt afraid to state his case. I usually am 100% with him, but this time I thought he was a bit out there. BUT...I reread his posts. :idea:I get it now a bit better than before. He hasnt the time to waste with MAYBES, but rather, wants to play on his terms with like minded guys. That 5th string signifies something that he doesnt want to get involved with.I get it, though I dont necessarily agree with it.

Archived