brush / sweep electronic drums?

kr236rk

• Members

My TD9 has a kit that's called "brushes", but it's not very good. They don't provide a "swirl/sweep" effect so in the end it's kind of pointless.

I have no idea about the newer modules though. If they've improved that.

As usual...the most realistic sounds come from third party software triggering using your e kit. And here's how...

[video=youtube;wh_M01ZV09M]

• Members

My TD9 has a kit that's called "brushes", but it's not very good. They don't provide a "swirl/sweep" effect so in the end it's kind of pointless.,,have no idea about the newer modules though. If they've improved that....the most realistic sounds come from third party software triggering using your e kit.

Seems like the 'swirl' effect is crucial, and the Yam kit (in the video) already has that? Where does the 3rd party software come in please?

Thanks,

• Members

Seems like the 'swirl' effect is crucial, and the Yam kit (in the video) already has that? Where does the 3rd party software come in please?

Thanks,

I don't know if it does or doesn't. The stock module sounds tend to be bad anyway.

Third party software is computer based drum software that you trigger using MIDI signals from your e kit. (or any other midi device). As he's doing above. He's not using sounds from his yamaha e kit.

I use BFD2, like in the video, but there are many others....I don't know which have samples of brushes though.

This will give you an idea of what it's about.

[video=youtube;aSNKGluo7_A]

• Members

Roland TD11, TD15, T20, TD30 and a pseuedo one on the 4 but it sure doesn't sound like that to me...
:rolleyes:

you mean doesn't sound like a real snare swirl or brush hit?

If so, again that just comes down to the power of the modules. The samples companies like Roland and Yamaha use, are real drums, but they are only sampled at a couple dynamic levels and a best electronically scaled. So they pretty much always end up sounding unnatural. Especially to drummers.

It's exactly the reason I went to software. Crazy levels of dynamic samples so it never sounds fake...because essentially it isn't fake.

• Members

Pretty cool, thanks ;) & thanks to all :)

Think for swirl-brush gonna set up my own snares (+ hi-hat cos the h/h effect on my pads is inaudible: & after going to all the trouble of rigging up a foot pedal to operate it, the situation is sad).

What are the best snare types for brush/swirl please, or will any pair do? The brush sticks shouldn't be a problem.

Archived