When Do I need A Manager?

min7b5

• Members

I'm somewhat recently signed to a independent label as a solo guitarist. They’ve taken my CDs and put them in Boarders Books, Barnes And Nobles, Tower Records, etc, all across the country. I’ve gotten a little airplay and press. I’m playing around town more and gearing up for a tour that goes basically within 300 miles of home in January/February, and then going wider in the Spring. The label is doing the booking in-house. I’ve got one product endorsement and a lawyer I like. So when do I get management? What will it mean for me? Any tips on finding one?

• Members

Originally posted by min7b5

Yeah, I can handle what I have now, but I wonder if a manager would get me more. I’d gladly give up 20% if they could make my income go up %100.

Looks like a great opportunity to learn something about the music business. Really, you should have had management the minute you got picked up by an Indie label. Because now you have CDs all over the country, without a promo machine to advertise/support them. A manager would have you appearing on a tour of these places to perform and to sign CDs. He would also be able to work in conjunction with the music stores to get you a gig in their area that same evening, Without a tour of these stores and exposure in a market, you can expect them to stock your CD for a few months to a year or so but when it doesn't sell, when they do their inventories it will be returned to the distributor. Guess how I found this out?

• Members

Thanks. Yeah, I guess it’s time to start to looking around. So far I have been happy with the labels efforts to plan the tour to include in-store shows, radio interviews etc. And the CD has been selling pretty well even though I’m yet to leave town. We’ll see.

• Members

Good. By the way, I forgot to mention that I'm happy for you and that you deserve an attaboy for doing what you have done thus far. Anytime anybody anywhere gets any degree of success in this business, I believe it elevates the chances for everyone. Way to go, and keep it up! :cool:

Archived