Pearl

mraia3

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by race81

View Post

bd......what stands were failing for ya???

Jake bought several of Pearl's high end cymbal stands a few years ago. They became so badly dimpled from the tom mount that you couldn't raise or lower them. Never had that problem with Tama hardware.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by race81

View Post

bd......what stands were failing for ya???

Jake bought several of Pearl's high end cymbal stands a few years ago. They became so badly dimpled from the tom mount that you couldn't raise or lower them. Never had that problem with Tama hardware.

• Members

I've had a couple of pieces of Pearl gear over the years. My Chad Smith snare drum that I got about 12 years ago, and two single-braced boom stands that I got about 15 years ago. The stands are still going strong and the snare sounds great.

When I was in the market for a new kit 15 months ago, I checked out the Tama Silverstars, the Gretsch Catalina birch, the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch, and the Pearl Vision VBL. I wanted a natural wood finish, so I eliminated the Tama and the Gretsch. The main reason I chose the Yamaha kit was because it came with a matching birch snare and the Pearl came with a steel snare.

• Members

I've had a couple of pieces of Pearl gear over the years. My Chad Smith snare drum that I got about 12 years ago, and two single-braced boom stands that I got about 15 years ago. The stands are still going strong and the snare sounds great.

When I was in the market for a new kit 15 months ago, I checked out the Tama Silverstars, the Gretsch Catalina birch, the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch, and the Pearl Vision VBL. I wanted a natural wood finish, so I eliminated the Tama and the Gretsch. The main reason I chose the Yamaha kit was because it came with a matching birch snare and the Pearl came with a steel snare.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agogobill

View Post

Pearl is the best out there.

Just ask this guy if you don't believe me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlvm0hOt-m8

facepalm.gif

I think Pearl makes a great shell... strong, good sound, solid build and hardware. The Masters MCX is a very similar shell to my MLX or Sessions shells. The toms are huge-sounding and the bass drums are particularly awesome for a typical rock sound.

The tom mounts are a love 'em/leave 'em type thing for looks. But with optimounts and t-2000 tom arms, you should be able to get them wherever you'd like.

I haven't had problems with their hardware like BD describes. In fact, I sold Carm some 15-20 year-old boom stands that were still rock solid. I would avoid the 900 series due to the plastic bushings and sleeves where the pipes insert. I also find the Pearl hardware a bit on the heavy side for gigging.

If you're looking at Vision Birch, you may want to look at the new Session Studio line which is a mix of birch and kapur shell.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agogobill

View Post

Pearl is the best out there.

Just ask this guy if you don't believe me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlvm0hOt-m8

facepalm.gif

I think Pearl makes a great shell... strong, good sound, solid build and hardware. The Masters MCX is a very similar shell to my MLX or Sessions shells. The toms are huge-sounding and the bass drums are particularly awesome for a typical rock sound.

The tom mounts are a love 'em/leave 'em type thing for looks. But with optimounts and t-2000 tom arms, you should be able to get them wherever you'd like.

I haven't had problems with their hardware like BD describes. In fact, I sold Carm some 15-20 year-old boom stands that were still rock solid. I would avoid the 900 series due to the plastic bushings and sleeves where the pipes insert. I also find the Pearl hardware a bit on the heavy side for gigging.

If you're looking at Vision Birch, you may want to look at the new Session Studio line which is a mix of birch and kapur shell.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mraia3

View Post

Ok, now put the Pearl Vision Artisan II up against a Yamaha Stage Custom kit. Ima pulling the trigger on one of em, and leaning towards the Yammies.

Opinions, please.

I'd definitely go Yamaha! No shortage of love for the SCs on this forum, and rightfully so. smile.gif

• Members

View Post

Ok, now put the Pearl Vision Artisan II up against a Yamaha Stage Custom kit. Ima pulling the trigger on one of em, and leaning towards the Yammies.

Opinions, please.

I'd definitely go Yamaha! No shortage of love for the SCs on this forum, and rightfully so. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY

View Post

Thats where Im heading Fitch. I definitely dont want the Pearl Visions.

The thing is, and this might sound stupid, but Im looking to change up from the Mapex Meridien Maples I have. THey are good drums, but I just never felt comfortable on them. The Pearl stuff is always fun for me, and I love everything Yammie. I guess the thing thats getting me is, are the Yammies a come down from the Mapex that I have already? I dont want to take a step back. I would consider the MCX a step UP, but their $1700 and the Yammies are $650. I dont really relish spending $1700 on a kit, even though its considerd a REALLY GOOD KIT! I know the Yammies arent in that league. For that we would be discussing Oak Customs or PHX or Recordings.

I think that Im going with the Stage Customs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY

View Post

Thats where Im heading Fitch. I definitely dont want the Pearl Visions.

The thing is, and this might sound stupid, but Im looking to change up from the Mapex Meridien Maples I have. THey are good drums, but I just never felt comfortable on them. The Pearl stuff is always fun for me, and I love everything Yammie. I guess the thing thats getting me is, are the Yammies a come down from the Mapex that I have already? I dont want to take a step back. I would consider the MCX a step UP, but their $1700 and the Yammies are $650. I dont really relish spending $1700 on a kit, even though its considerd a REALLY GOOD KIT! I know the Yammies arent in that league. For that we would be discussing Oak Customs or PHX or Recordings.

• Members

View Post

.....I dont really relish spending $1700 on a kit, even though its considerd a REALLY GOOD KIT! I know the Yammies arent in that league. For that we would be discussing Oak Customs or PHX or Recordings.

IMHO, unless you plan on doing a ton of studio work, the Stage Customs would be just fine. 95% of people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between SC's and Recording Customs in a live band situation. Remember, it's the player, not the instrument that matters most! ....and saving $1000 ain't too shabby, either! thumb.gif

• Members

View Post

They are good drums, but I just never felt comfortable on them.

What exactly do you mean by this? Is it the sizes you don't like/can't get positioned well? Are you having trouble finding a combination of heads and tuning that isn't working for you?

I wouldn't worry too much about a kit being "a step up/down" from what you have now. Once you get to a certain level of workmanship, it's all about what you prefer.

• Members

View Post

They are good drums, but I just never felt comfortable on them.

What exactly do you mean by this? Is it the sizes you don't like/can't get positioned well? Are you having trouble finding a combination of heads and tuning that isn't working for you?

I wouldn't worry too much about a kit being "a step up/down" from what you have now. Once you get to a certain level of workmanship, it's all about what you prefer.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

IMHO, unless you plan on doing a ton of studio work, the Stage Customs would be just fine. 95% of people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between SC's and Recording Customs in a live band situation. Remember, it's the player, not the instrument that matters most! ....and saving $1000 ain't too shabby, either! thumb.gif

Thats what I wanted to hear!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

Thats what I wanted to hear!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by danrothmusic

View Post

Hard to say...I cant put my finger on it, other than I think I dont like the 8-10-12 toms. I KNOW I dont like that 8...The drums sound great, but I never "feel" great playing it. I think thats it. Any your right about the workmanship being the thing. At that level its all personal taste.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by danrothmusic

View Post

Hard to say...I cant put my finger on it, other than I think I dont like the 8-10-12 toms. I KNOW I dont like that 8...The drums sound great, but I never "feel" great playing it. I think thats it. Any your right about the workmanship being the thing. At that level its all personal taste.

• Members

I've had my SCB kit for nearly 2 years and it has held up pretty good.The Yamaha hardware is great and hasn't failed me yet. Another thing about the SCB kits,you can get the add on toms for a decent price. I spent just under $2000 on the shell pack and have a fairly large kit.

The only thing I hated about the SCB was the snare.I don't like it,never could find the right head combination or tuning to make it sound good. I have 2 other snares,a Pearl MCX Maple 6.5x14 and a Ludwig Epic 20 ply Birch 7x14 snare. I like the Pearl Snare more but have been using the Epic since I just got it a few weeks ago.

• Members

I've had my SCB kit for nearly 2 years and it has held up pretty good.The Yamaha hardware is great and hasn't failed me yet. Another thing about the SCB kits,you can get the add on toms for a decent price. I spent just under $2000 on the shell pack and have a fairly large kit.

The only thing I hated about the SCB was the snare.I don't like it,never could find the right head combination or tuning to make it sound good. I have 2 other snares,a Pearl MCX Maple 6.5x14 and a Ludwig Epic 20 ply Birch 7x14 snare. I like the Pearl Snare more but have been using the Epic since I just got it a few weeks ago.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76

View Post

$2000 on just regular Stage Custom birch shells? Must be a pretty big kit. I have to agree on the add-on toms, though. I don't even have my kit yet, and I'm looking at adding a 14x12 floor tom. Killer deal at $150.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76

View Post

$2000 on just regular Stage Custom birch shells? Must be a pretty big kit. I have to agree on the add-on toms, though. I don't even have my kit yet, and I'm looking at adding a 14x12 floor tom. Killer deal at $150.

Archived