i need some answer's please.

chino_151

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

Not meant as a criticism, but why does every 17 year old kid with a guitar set out ot be a rock star?

P.S. If no one had the dream of becoming a rockstar, there probably wouldn't be as many bands out there. Inspiration is what helps us get to where we want to be in life. I see nothing wrong with setting out to fulfill our dreams.

• Members

Originally posted by TheChopsyWanker

P.S. If no one had the dream of becoming a rockstar, there probably wouldn't be as many bands out there. Inspiration is what helps us get to where we want to be in life. I see nothing wrong with setting out to fulfill our dreams.

Well, like I said, I didn't mean what I said as a criticism, merely an observation. I should have mentioned that at 17 I felt the same way, that I wanted to be a rock star. If in fact you have learned that the journey is the fun part and may indeed be the only reward you get out of it, then you are miles ahead of where I was at your age. I just see so many young guys out there who see the only indicator of success as them becoming rich and famous with a major label deal, and are way too serious and driven for the wrong reasons to really enjoy the ride. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by chino_151

making it is the ultimate goal. what i meant was making it by my standards not necesarily being extrememly well known and famous but being able to make a comfortabe living out of it because if you cant do what you want to do in life then why do anything. the sky is the limit and i believe that you can do anything you want to do. i didnt pick up a guitar to be famous i started because i liked it and it let me put my emotions somewhere its an outlet for everything that happens in my life and if i can do that for a living then {censored} yeah thats my dream and if i become rich and famous then it will make it even better. thanks again everyone who posted i appreciate your responses. thanks.

If you want a "stable" music career, then your best bet is to go to college, learn to read (music and charts) and be open to playing with just about any gig that comes along. That means subbing in established acts, playing covers, teaching, etc. etc. etc..

The guys I knew that were "flexible" are living in Nashville now and making their living touring, playing, teaching, and recording with alot of different acts and teaching on the side. Guys I knew that were "Uncompromising" (as far as "I'm going to do this and this and nothing else will do!) are working dead end jobs and gigging on occassional weekends...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to write music, tour, put together an original act, etc. But "stability" and comfort level generally arise from consistant obtainable employment.

P.S. you will further your musical career tenfold if you just finish college first. I only say this because I was once you- I was going to take a "year off", I was going to play "what I wanted" - no compromising! I was going to go back to school later- I'm 32, and haven't finished college yet (I've been back three times) and I had a great run of playing in local cover bands, backing original guys, recording, scoring and writing jingles etc.! I've had a relatively successful "local" career- but nothing like the guys that west to college first. Why?

It provides you with a network

It gives you access to opportunities and people that you can't get to on the outside

It gives you credibility with employers and potential students, bandmates, etc.

My advice:

Go to college and join a band get a part time job at a music store

Gig the hell out of clubs around the college in various bands- learn to play as a backing / sideman for others (even if you don't like the styles-teaches you discipline and exposes you to new things) Learn to memorize like 40 or 50 songs (like in a cover band) find a kid you can teach-

Why not a get a music business degree???

They have a program like that at Capital University here is Columbus.

http://www.capital.edu/

-B

• Members

Originally posted by BryanMichael

If you want a "stable" music career, then your best bet is to go to college, learn to read (music and charts) and be open to playing with just about any gig that comes along. That means subbing in established acts, playing covers, teaching, etc. etc. etc..

The guys I knew that were "flexible" are living in Nashville now and making their living touring, playing, teaching, and recording with alot of different acts and teaching on the side. Guys I knew that were "Uncompromising" (as far as "I'm going to do this and this and nothing else will do!) are working dead end jobs and gigging on occassional weekends...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to write music, tour, put together an original act, etc. But "stability" and comfort level generally arise from consistant obtainable employment.

P.S. you will further your musical career tenfold if you just finish college first. I only say this because I was once you- I was going to take a "year off", I was going to play "what I wanted" - no compromising! I was going to go back to school later- I'm 32, and haven't finished college yet (I've been back three times) and I had a great run of playing in local cover bands, backing original guys, recording, scoring and writing jingles etc.! I've had a relatively successful "local" career- but nothing like the guys that west to college first. Why?

It provides you with a network

It gives you access to opportunities and people that you can't get to on the outside

It gives you credibility with employers and potential students, bandmates, etc.

My advice:

Go to college and join a band get a part time job at a music store

Gig the hell out of clubs around the college in various bands- learn to play as a backing / sideman for others (even if you don't like the styles-teaches you discipline and exposes you to new things) Learn to memorize like 40 or 50 songs (like in a cover band) find a kid you can teach-

Why not a get a music business degree???

They have a program like that at Capital University here is Columbus.

-B

Great advice, especially the part about learning different styles of music. In my checkered past, I did stints in disco bands (where I learned to play rhythm guitar) rock bands (where I learned a lot about tone) lounge bands ( I learned volume control) country bands (I learned short song structure and became intimate with my major scales and sustain and how to make a strat and a volume pedal sound like a steel guitar) a college big band ( where i learned the power of having horns and how to hang back and not try to be the center of attention). Bottom line is, i was able to earn money while becoming a journeyman guitar player, and now I use everything i learned in doing my own music today. Become well rounded; you'll never regret it.

• Members

yeah im 17, last year of high school, sort of the same deal. but i try not to really analyze and think about all this planning {censored}. Even after taking the best plan from all this advice, you could still just drop out of school right now and maybe you will make it. i hate that phrase though "making it". ill probably go to college straight out of high school because i dont have a band to start touring with anyways and im just breezing though school (4.0), even though i hate it. so my plan i guess is to go to college until i have an oppertunity to start up a good band. in the meantime im gonna try and woodshed on the drums cause bands should always have a kick ass drummer, and even if im not in some famous band at the moment i just like jamming and it be great to be a great drummer.

• Members

If you are serious about music as a career, look into school programs that offer degrees in music or music business. That way, you will be going to school and getting an education, meeting new people that are interested in the same industry and also working in a field you love.

A college very close to me in Fort Worth, TX offers a degree program that is a Music Major with a Business Minor for those people that are interested in it. I have checked out the degree myself to help me run my recording studio better and have been impressed. The classes are geared directly towards Music and Business with business writing courses geared towards writing to A&R and other industry type writing that you would encounter. Just an idea.

• Members

A lot of bands got started in college. Hooty and the Blowfish just being one of them. My advise is go to college, get your band, and play around the college clubs. Start off in your college's town, and the expand on to the next closes college. The cool thing about doing it in clubs next to your college is the almost built in audience. You can most likly play at any one of the clubs at any time, and it makes for a good proving ground to see what works and what doesn't. College and music at the same time.:cool:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Dreams of comfortable living from playing music and making it in music are two fantasies most of us had in our youth. The truth is both cruel and hard. You think from what ive read that being stuborn and loving music equals the right to success..

Sheeeiit kid, DREAM ON....

In the real world its all about politics, finaces, planning with successful people inside and outside the arena. All the things you hate about school but need in the real world. The real ugly truth about this biz is that 99percent of us didnt have what it took and someone on the inside to lift us into success. Do you BTW?

And still most of the success stories are based on tons of plain old stupid dumb luck.

Only a fool PLANS on music for a living until it actually happens. And then most lose what they get from bad investments once they get there because they didnt get a good education. In the old days you didnt need it much and skill talent got ya noticed. In todays world that doesnt cut crapola. It just doesnt fly except for maybe one band or artist in ten thousand trying. And since most bands are 4 people, tha equates to your chances of being one in 40,000 of success.

Now i knopw you know im wrong...cuz im an old bitter fart.... But this old bitter fart believed just as much as anyone in the world that he was destined for great stages just like everyone else. And this ol fart worked a hell of alot harder then most to get there only to have it all ripped out from my feet by someone i had no control over. So i am bitter, and old, and i stink.... But that doesnt change anything from the facts. And the facts are that you stand a better chance of getting a personal invitation to join the rolling stones today in the mail then making a successful living as a recording or label artist.

But the good news is that you can make somewhat of a comfortable living in bars. But again, it takes a gfood education to make the right finacial investments to get a good return for your retirement later on.

So love music...

play music....

make a few bucks at music....

BUT GO TO COLLEGE AND GET SOME KIND OF DEGREE FIRST!

Archived