where do I get the permission to use a sample?

• Members

if anyone owns the recording it would have a copyright. so check out the library of congress. Or if its his famous speech than look at the CD booklet on Living Color's album. the one with cult of personality. it will say who gave them permission. I'm not sure anyone would own it though since it was a public address.

• Members

Serious pain anywhere in body. I'm in the biz and had to do it for Malcom X speech (I've done tons of sample clearance for Wu Tang, Rob Base, Grandmaster Flash etc.)-you need to go back not only because of copyright but rights of publicity too-if it is just a song then you need only publisher/writer and record company permission. Here you need to go back to the Kennedys-probably the Kennedy Library at Harvard U. To cover all bases since I do not know how you got the sample (record, film??) still seek permission from the copyright holder (I doubt that ownership ever passed). As in your case I had to go back to Malcom's widow to get permission-so you are prepared, any clearance will require that you submit your use of the sample so get it ready. Whatever happens, KEEP A RECORD in writing for evidence purposes down the line-I can assure you that if it makes money someone will sue you! I charge serious money for this advice so take it seriously

• Members

Originally posted by willie rivera

Whatever happens, KEEP A RECORD in writing for evidence purposes down the line-I can assure you that if it makes money someone will sue you! I charge serious money for this advice so take it seriously

lol

I don't know if he's being serious or not.

Archived