is formal education common?

messsa

• Members

My question how many of these famous guy's went through guitar school. ex. slash, zakk wylde (just naming a couple youd think did cause of there knowledge of the guitar). id love to know a percentage or something cause im sure going threw school would increase your odds of success, but was wondering how many of these successful people actually did. Dont get me wrong, i love guitar and would love the school but i speak for a good few when i say i cant donate 2 years and no promises.,unlike say engineering or business where you know you can atleast make money, not to mention going to school in the first place would be expensive just NOT working. anyone feel free to add to this...

• Members

As far as actual band members, I dont think the percentage is ver high. I know alot of people who go to music school actually end up teaching, producing or being session musicians. Alot of people who go to those schools get intrested in the buisness side of things... studios, labels, teaching etc... I think it would be a great experience! If you truly love an instrument, why not learn all you can. I also think that there are hot spots for people that have some formal music education, ie) nashville, austin, LA, NYC etc... Studio musicians almost always have some outside musical education, as well as any good teacher.

• Members
Originally posted by Scheming Demon

I don't think going to a music school will make it any easier to succeed in the business.

I disagree... I think you will get to know more people, know a little more of how the whole system works and have some credibility that you went to a diciplined music school. I think it can only help. A lot of those people are very serious about music, and they are going to be serious for a while more than likely... and it cant hurt to know them, and have gone to school with them or learned from them.

• Members

Like DJ says, these cats who goto the schools and grad have met some top names and rubbed shoulders. Know what i mean vern?

Ive met a few from GIT and BIT in the past. One of my best teachers was Michael Powell and i believe he was a grad of GIT. And he is a friggin monster....

These people can play multi genre, cross based music and seldom are out of work. When they do work they humble most street players. Not saying street players arnt better or worse, but the coincidence of stacking them next to educated guys seems to make them weak.

But then again, did srv, clapton, ritchie, BB, or others seem to lack because of not haing it? Nope!

Before i met Michael i thought i was a really good bar guitarist. I quickly found out he thought of himself as a mediocre player himself and NOONE i knew at that time could touch his shredding or knowledge of chords. Classical, blues, country, rock, shred, spanish, this cat played it all. He mentioned to me that when he started he too thought he was a good player. He said it was a humbling experience to see others at school who were far better than most we listen too on the radio. You know, our gods....

School is an option. Thats all. It will give the person looking to rise above others a step up IF they can handle the load. It aint a picnic of playing guitar by any means. You do what you are told (exercises) when you are told the way you are told until the basics are all covered from what i gather. That means learning chords, structure, notation, other genres you probably wont like, and spending hours on theory in books and examples.

I had a close friend a couple years ago who went to GIT. He stayed there for two months and quit. I asked him why? He said, "Maaaannnn, all they wanted me to do was read and play chords and scales and {censored} like that. I went there to learn to be a master killer shred monster and they wanted to teach me basics...Screw BASICS, i want the tricks!"

He never understood without the basics you are nuthin.... He wanted a smart pill from the experts. They told him the truth.

Talent is talent. It can be developed as highly as you are willing to suffer to take it. Or it can be left to dwell in the land of fairy tales.

• Members

wow .. that was a good post. i started a prep for guitar school and was amazed at how commited youd have to be. i found it like the equivelant of math, a creative type of math. Notes being number sequenced in patterns and things like chord progressions being probible. anyway it would be a neat thing to go threw but it sure wouldnt be easy!

• Members

I regret not taking better advantage of my University's Jazz Lab Band program. I play music for a living and the experience and discipline (and credentials) would have benefited me much more than the business degree I have never used. I am busting my butt to learn things I could have and should have learned back then.

• Members

There is alot to what you said!

When i was in high school i was a beginning bassist (started the end of my sophomore year). I was in the jazz and pep bands as well as other banads on different instruments. I wish i had had the foresight to start on guitar rather than bass. I missed out on a hell of a lot of knowledge and chord work that i could have used all through my career on guitar if i had.

Most guitarists who played in jazz band in hi school are more knowledgable than those who didnt. Its all those old songs and chord movements that they had to do. It knowledge alot of us missed. And are tooooo lazy to go back and learn. :D

Bass was simple to learn compared to guitar. And i wanted something i could get up and running with fast. I never saw the guitar as interesting until way after those school days. Back then i was content to be a bassist. It wasnt until after i grew bored with it that the guitar caught my attention.

Archived