PA rental

• Members

Hey, folks, I have a serious biz question. Here's the scene:

I'm in a 4 pc. band, I'm 1 of 2 founding members.

I'm in a little better financial position (and I work like a dog for it) so I bought the PA. Nothing fancy, about $2000. worth. Power amp, mixer, speakers, FX, mics, and about 3 miles of various cables. Still looking for the right monitors and EQ. OK, so the question is:

We've agreed to rent the PA from me until it's paid off, what's a fair rate? We have a manager, so you know hers comes off the top. Should we do a percentage or a flat rate?

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Keith

• Members

if you pretty much always make a decent amount then a flat rate is fine. but, if your income from shows varies then a percentage might be better. As for what either of these should be i'd take a couple things into account.

1)when do you want or need to have gotten the money back?

2) How many show do you regularly play?

do the math and hopefully it will work out without you having to wait longer or your bandmates getting little money for a while.

• Members

I'd charge $50-75 a gig for the PA. That's about what a $2k PA costs to rent. I don't see any problem renting it - you fronted the PA, which your band uses to it's advantage - you deserve and ought to get paid for the favor.

• Members

Originally posted by swingset

I'd charge $50-75 a gig for the PA. That's about what a $2k PA costs to rent. I don't see any problem renting it - you fronted the PA, which your band uses to it's advantage - you deserve and ought to get paid for the favor.

This is a very reasonable amount.

• Members

Well, if you and I were in the same band this is what I'd do:

Charge the band $75 for PA rental. This amt. comes right off the top, before ANYONE ( including the manager ) is paid.

After the PA $$$ has been reimbursed, make the PA band property, not yours anymore. Otherwise, if you want to own the PA, suck up the cost OR rent it out to other groups to get your $$$ back.

Where in PA are you located? I grew up in Danville and grew up even more in State College.

- Chad

http://www.fourtoadsally.com

• Members

Originally posted by Chirpy_72

After the PA $$$ has been reimbursed, make the PA band property, not yours anymore. Otherwise, if you want to own the PA, suck up the cost OR rent it out to other groups to get your $$$ back.

]

This is how I feel, too. You fronted the cost for the band, so it's the bands P.A. If you were buying it for yourself, then you didn't front them the money; you're having them subsidize the cost of YOUR P.A., IMO.

• Members

There seems to be some confusion, please re-read the original post.

I don't own the band, only the PA. We as a group didn't own a PA, so we'd have had to rent one. I suggested nothing more than that, rent a PA from me at a bargain rate. I pay this rental just like everyone else. Someone else will keep the books so everyone knows the balance. Once the PA is paid off with these rentals, the band as an entity gets free rental. I shelled out the cash; if the band flops, who pays for it? Me. So since we'd have to rent anyway, this way will satisfy all parties.

I don't charge the guitarist for the use of my amps or Strat. I don't charge the drummer for curb service since he doesn't drive or have access to a ride. I don't charge anyone mileage when someone has to run back and forth between the studio and the practice room with mics, stands, cables, etc.

What the manager has to do with it is find us work and get her share.

I figured everything out before I bought except for how much to rent it for.

All the other members of the band are in agreement on this, I'm not trying to screw anyone. They (we) like the idea of having the same equipment that has been with them (us) since it was new. No wondering if it was dropped off a truck, Spinal Tapped to 11 on the gain, who was slobbering on their mic last night, etc. I'm responsible for maintenance and repair, if something's in the shop, as the rental company I get to provide a substitute at no additional charge.

I'm in the music biz with these folks, we all want what's due us, nothing more, nothing less. Words of wisdom from my father-"Never share a car or a woman." I think that applies here.

Bottom line- Remember Jerry McGuire? It's not show friends, it's show business.

OK, tirade over. Thanks for all the responses, whether I agree or not, you all gave a new guy lots of food for thought.

Keith

• Members

Originally posted by Chirpy_72

YOU NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION

Where in PA are ya from ?
:)

I'm curious to know this as well... I live in NOrth Central PA which can't be far from where this guy is... the interest brews. :)

• Members

YOU NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION

Where in PA are ya from ?

Sorry, guys, calm down! I'm in York Co., 30 miles due south of Harrisburg. By day I'm a truck driver, I go thru Allentown every day! (Yocco's dogs are the BEST!)

Kingnome- your band will gladly buy you a PA, but you have to watch Disney's "Jungle Book" and learn to do the eye thing as done by "Kaa" the snake.

Keith

Archived