How much money should i ask for?

• Members

If I am going to be playing lets say a restaurant or a mall. And its just me playing guitar with my background music shooting thru a small pa system. how much can I expect to make. Is it possible to make a living at it if your good enough. Just mellow relaxing music.

And how long are you expected to play at these gigs. anyone have any experience? It seems that this would be the easiest way to try and make a living at it. Of course what do I know? lol

• Members

Well thats subjective... how much money do you want? Do you need the money as a form of income? Or do you just wanna get SOME money in return for some people listening and maybe buying a cd.... Since you are asking this I would expect you havent had alot of paying gigs yet, so I can tell you this: You arent gonna get much at first. At a restaurant or mall, no tickets are sold, so you are gonna get a fixed price. If you are really incredible, established and have 2 hours of material... I could see getting 150+ dollars. For that type of gig. If you are just starting out, not established, young etc... I would take what they offer for some experience points. I feel bad for solo artists, because its hard... and with a band, there are more people to help out. It is always worth a try though, to set your self up as a professional. Discuss the price before you play. If you have a CD or shirts or whatever, you can make some money off that. But really... whats it worth to you? Do they have alot of artists at this mall or restaurant. I mean if the roxy only paid 50 dollars, it would be the best 50 dollars you ever get, because of the people there, the experience, audience etc. So you can earn without getting paid alot.

• Members

I have some friends that do this. They usually make anywhere between $100 - $200 a gig. Considering this doesn't have to be split with anyone it's a nice extra income.

If you can get enough regular gigs you can do alright. A lot of these performers also advertise for parties as well as bar gigs.

• Members

You mention yourself as "BACKGROUND MUSIC". Don't expect to make alot doing that. If you are not the reason people come then just consider doing it for fun. If you get a legit act together that fills a small room you can make a comfortable living if you can get full time work.

Archived