Are you a Solo Artist because you want to?

• Members

I personally don't like it.. but it seems like I'm face with that dilema more and more everyday. I've been searching for a Singer for about 1 year and a half now and only came up with 3 potential singers within that time span that really knows what they're doing, the rest either at best has a good voice but no idea how to write lyrics or come up with a melody or at least a catchy one...lol. Now the I lost the 3 due to one moving back to San Diego cause his band got signed, second one just had commitment problems flipfloping with his theatrical schedule and practiced. Last one that bailed out would be so stressed out due to her upcoming marriage and other trauma in her life that she can't dedicate herself.

I've been talking, meeting and jamming out with singers and other musiciians at this for so long that i feel like i can't find anybody that's not only solid but dedicated. It's extremely frustrating that at times I feel like giving up. I'm not really a good singer but after watching Billy Corgan sing I certainly feel better and optimistic that i can pull it off with some practiced. And to make things even better Tommy Lee is singing in his band and that made me realize that hey you don't have to be a great singer to make a statement. I was also encouraged.....and said hey why not me?? If i can't find anybody else out there....

Are you a solo artist because you're kinda force too because of frustration or was it that you chose to be all along?

• Members

The last band I was in was probably one of the best ones. We recorded a full length CD and were starting to do pretty well as far as drawing attention to ourselves, did some memorable gigs, etc. Well, like most bands, we went through a couple of lineup changes and had our share of fights. The last straw for me came when our bassist had to move away. I didn't want to go through the hassle of finding yet another member, teaching them the songs, etc. So I left.

Interestingly enough, I find the freedom refreshing. I thought I would totally jones for playing out again but, I haven't. I have been building a modest home studio and doing recordings on my own. The plan is to get some local talent to do the singing for me since I can't sing a lick. Right now, I'm pretty satisfied being on my own.

-Mike

• Members

I left my band thanks to my jerk guitarist who

is just waiting to get in my skirt. I brought that up to my band leader and he just shrugged it off. Every practise....and I mean every practise.......the guitarist will try to put his arms around my waist. The final straw was when he leaned over and whispered to my ear "I wanna f*** you tonight girl!". :eek:

Omigosh!. That was it.....I walked out of the room and never looked back. My ex- band could not get a better girl singer after that.......and before long they were out of job and disbanded.

Solo performance is not as exciting, I admit. But it sure beats having to endure jerks like my ex- guitarist.

• Members

Originally posted by stunningbabe

...he leaned over and whispered to my ear "I wanna f*** you tonight girl!".
:eek:

You know,...honesty is so hard to find in a relationship these days. Then again, so is good taste.

For me, I've done the band thing several times, and always found myself to be the only really dedicated member, and the only one willing to take charge. I had learned to play several instruments by the time I realized I had had enough of fighting a losing "battle in the bands". I had always been the guy with the songs and the dogged determination, so I guess it was a natural thing to do, considering the experiences I'd had.

So yes, I was kind of forced to, and no, I think I like being able to have complete control over all the decisions without having to deal with the BS. Successful bands are not democracies, after all. Lots of musicians can't deal with the fact that someone has to be able to make decisions for the good of the band. Now, I don't have to either argue about anything, or justify it my decisions.

However, I sure could use a good singer !

• Members

Originally posted by TheSandwich

I'm doing the solo stuff right now and I love it. I love that my success is entirely dependant on what I do, as opposed to what three other guys and myself do.

That would be something that you won't be able to blame anybody if you fail. Excellent way to put in perspective.

• Members

I'm a solo artist by choice. I've watched too many friends struggle with keeping band members or hiring musicians for gigs to attempt it myself. Playing with other musicians is what open-mics are for! [And even there, the egos fly!] It's nice to jam with other players, but for a group of musicians to dedicate themselves to set material brings a lot of inherent b.s.

P.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by bass_n_drums

Are you a solo artist because you're kinda force too because of frustration or was it that you chose to be all along?

This is how I make my living...about 80% of my gigs are solo (vocals/6- and 12-string guitar/harmonica) because I make vastly better $$$ solo, there are much lower expenses and there's a lot less head-aches involved.

The other 20% are trio (and occ. quartet) gigs that I do primarily because I like working with other musicians...but the real $$$, for me, is solo gigs.

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

This is how I make my living...about 80% of my gigs are solo (vocals/6- and 12-string guitar/harmonica) because I make vastly better $$$ solo, there are much lower expenses and there's a lot less head-aches involved.

The other 20% are trio (and occ. quartet) gigs that I do primarily because I like working with other musicians...but the real $$$, for me, is solo gigs.

Where do you play? I know once you're "da {censored}" in town you can play theaters, but most clubs/bars around here don't hire solo acousticers, that's mostly a coffee-shop realm, where you might get $100.

• Members

Originally posted by djelf

Where do you play? I know once you're "da {censored}" in town you can play theaters, but most clubs/bars around here don't hire solo acousticers, that's mostly a coffee-shop realm, where you might get $100.

This most likely varies from area to area, but around here (N. Texas/OK./Ark./N.Mex.), bars pay the worst, hourly (averaging at most $10 an hour for 5 hours...$50 for solo acts, $200 for bands, no matter how many pieces).

Restaurants, bookstores, coffee-houses, festivals of various sorts, elementary schools, nursing homes, VA hospitals, correctional institutes, etc. pay VASTLY more and involve better hours...unless I'm playing out of town/state, I'm usually home in time to tuck in the kids and give the wife her "propers"!

A lot of these gigs book from a couple of months to a year in advance, but stick w/ it, OK?

• Members

I'm a solo artist right now because I hate having what I think is a really cool idea shot down by someone who just wants to noodle on a cover tune, or play some lame rock retread.

Now if I end up with a finished song or song idea that I'm not completely satisfied with once it's recorded, I only have myself to answer to.

• Members

It's weird, though, cause I'm also in a band right now.

The band is great, we've got a great musical chemistry. Now, the problem is that the guitarist and bassist keep {censored}ing things up for us...for instance, we were supposed to play to a huge frickin' crowd this Thursday, the venue moved the gig up a week about a month ago; they emailed Jimmy, the bassist. The dumbass NEVER tells us that we're supposed to play on the 20th, until the 22nd, when he tells us "oh, dudes, we {censored}ed up"! :mad:

Of course, the two of them had been doing zanex and cocaine all week long...:mad:

(Damned drugs always ruining good music. :mad: )

That's my favorite thing about the solo {censored}; I've always got that to hold over their heads. I'm literally like: "Well, fine, you guys mess everything up and try to pass it off to me, no way, I'm going back to my solo {censored}!" And, because I've managed to keep doing it all this time, I've already got a whole set-list, ready-to-go!

Plus, I figured out a long time ago a good way to be able to do small ensemble gigs and not rely on the bass player who never shows up: I switched to keys, and play basslines with my left hand, ala Ray Manzarek. This way, I can play trio-style songs with just myself and a drummer. :D

Archived