r&b singing style

cloud90

• Members

Hey,

I have always been a guy that listens to a wide range of genre's but lately, i have deicded that i want to sing with a r&b style to my voice. Most of my friends have heard me sing and they all reckon that my voice is very pop like. Any tips as to how i can get my voice to sound more r&B ish?

Thanks

• Moderators

Singing style is mainly in its diction and vocal color. I would listen to some r&b or blues singers and hear how they pronounce their words. Usually there's more 'twang' on some vowels, especially if they're connected to consonants like 'r' or 'n' or 'm'. Certain words would have 'silent' consonants where they just bypass the consonant almost completely. For example the word 'behind', would have a twangy 'i' vowel with a silent 'd'.

Try listening to singers like NeYo and John Legend. Also try checking out some blues singers as well, I use to listen to a lot of blues singers and I find them more influential, some of my favourites are BB King and Keb Mo.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Yeah, what i have noticed is unlike pop, r&b uses  a more relaxed/loosened form of pronounication of words..if you get what i mean. RIght now,  i have been trying to sing along to some r&b songs but at the same time, making sure i sing the words with the exact pronociation as the singer.  What other blue singers would you recommmend?

Thanks

Archived