Live PA Different From Recorded Sound

YeahDoIt

• Members

My voice isn't that good but I notice that I sound a lot better singing through the PA than when I record with a cheap condenser microphone and my computer.

Suppose I sing C2. The PA system delivers more of a lower frequency sound, my sound is stable and pretty much on pitch. When I record I hear the higher frequencies better and my notes don't sound so good - they are not stable and sometimes off pitch.

I am wondering how the same notes can sound OK at bass frequencies and at the same time sound not so good at higher frequencies.

• Members

That's interesting...I have no words of wisdom, but I always thought I sound better recording on a mic in my home studio / computer-based stuff as opposed to using a PA. I find many PAs muddy the sound of the voice and don't bring out the best in it. Hmm.

• Members

My bet is that it's the proximity effect from dynamic mics that you like (and use live). A lot of that is lost when you use a condenser, though you gain some high end detail.

Matching a mic to a singer is an art in itself, maybe head over to the recording forum if you want some advise on how to get a good recorded sound.

• Members

My bet is that it's the proximity effect from dynamic mics that you like (and use live). A lot of that is lost when you use a condenser, though you gain some high end detail.

^^^^This^^^^

• 2 weeks later...

Archived