Does this still sound like chest voice?

staticsound

• Members

Will there always be a loss of fullness as you add grit in chest, or is this something that can be improved upon through refining technique? Though if you can do this all night and feel good, I can't imagine there's much you can change without risking damage.
:idk:

I'm looking forward to the video! Maybe it will prove to be a milestone in my soon-to-be-career
:thu:

That's the million dollar question that I'm still trying to figure out. Adding grit to my lower chest notes, I don't notice any loss of fullness. The higher I go, I'd say around G#4 and up, I lose a little bit of the fullness. Maybe it's because I'm unknowingly in some mix/head configuration? Idk...live, people think I'm screaming my guts out, so as long as I can keep them convinced I'm happy...lol

• Moderators

That's the million dollar question that I'm still trying to figure out. Adding grit to my lower chest notes, I don't notice any loss of fullness. The higher I go, I'd say around G#4 and up, I lose a little bit of the fullness. Maybe it's because I'm unknowingly in some mix/head configuration? Idk...live, people think I'm screaming my guts out, so as long as I can keep them convinced I'm happy...lol

Yeah, the upper range is hard enough without using grit/rasp, I can imagine its really tough up there. Something that I noticed from my own singing is that the higher the note, the cleaner the tone. Btw, how exactly are you adding the grit? I don't use grit/rasp that often, but sometimes I do this weird thing by exaggerating the overtones and it adds some rasp to the sound.

• Members

Yeah, the upper range is hard enough without using grit/rasp, I can imagine its really tough up there. Something that I noticed from my own singing is that the higher the note, the cleaner the tone. Btw, how exactly are you adding the grit? I don't use grit/rasp that often, but sometimes I do this weird thing by exaggerating the overtones and it adds some rasp to the sound.

Is it possible to add grit using a combination of vocal fry and buzzing/resonance?

Also, how to you exaggerate overtones?

I guess Tamplin was right about building the upper mid voice as high as possible.

• Moderators

Is it possible to add grit using a combination of vocal fry and buzzing/resonance?

Also, how to you exaggerate overtones?

I don't think I'm using vocal fry for the slightly rasp sound I use. I personally find using vocal fry kinda hard. The only time I use vocal fry is when I need to quickly dip down to a low note for a split second.

I think I do the 'exaggerated overtones' thing by compressing the air slightly more and aiming the resonance more towards the nose. Its something I learned from listening to blues singers. lol

An example of it would be at the 1:00 mark on my "In February" song demo.

• Members

You can add more twang...which like mentioned, exaggerates the overtones. I'll tell you, learning grit and rasp was hard for me, but now it comes second nature. It's all about keeping an open throat and applying downward support....anchoring down...the taking a dump feeling, lol. If you watch my "how to scream" video, the same technique applies to adding grit and distortion.

• Members

You can add more twang...which like mentioned, exaggerates the overtones. I'll tell you, learning grit and rasp was hard for me, but now it comes second nature. It's all about keeping an open throat and applying downward support....anchoring down...the taking a dump feeling, lol. If you watch my "how to scream" video, the same technique applies to adding grit and distortion.

The maneuver to which you are referring is the Valsalva - which when released can produce a vaso-vagal/parasympathetic nervous system response leading to syncope (fainting). Be careful!!

*sorry - nursing student*

• Members

The maneuver to which you are referring is the Valsalva - which when released can produce a vaso-vagal/parasympathetic nervous system response leading to syncope (fainting). Be careful!!

*sorry - nursing student*

Ok, I had to google valsalva...lol. Thats not what I'm talking about at all...trying to exhale air through a closed airway. The "taking a dump feeling" is just a visual. You're basically just contracting your abs...you're still singing normal and breathing, this just gives you the distorted effect. The ab tightening keeps the "effect" up and out of your throat...which is bad.

Archived