Started my own YouTube channel!

staticsound

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Try to smile to the camera lens rather than frown. It turns me on more, and that's the only reason I would watch it anyway.

I seriously dig the hair products you use. I bet your hair smells really nice too.

Oh, and when you actually scream, the volume is extremely loud. My eardrums are very sensitive and the screams are too macho for me. More justin bieber sha-na-nazz please.

8=====D

EDIT: If it's not too much to keep in your head, try focusing on avoiding vocal fry when you're speaking. Articulation is a lot easier to pick up and comprehend when the tone is smooth. I'm a dork and I want you to speak like a college professor rather than a rock star.

fixed.

• Members

Good videos. I like that you don't take yourself too seriously and you back up your technique with sound examples. Your sense of humor comes thru and that's a good thing. I've been singing metal for twenty something years. Good stuff.

Thanks man! Yeah, I try to keep it sort of funny/entertaining, but still try to get the message across.

• Members

so do you do vox exercises on with the fry scream? Would you recommend doing 1-3-5-4-3-2-1 or any other things on different vowels? you know, exercises to strengthen the scream or what? I still cant get it

The fry scream I don't really have an exercise for...I just do it. If you can do it light, like the Melissa Cross way, you're halfway there. It's just a matter of using the downward support to get it loud without your throat tightening up. Here's your covering video too. I didn't take it up too high, G4 is a good start to aim for.

• Members

I gotta admit, my favorite part of this video is how you asked me, "Duke, what song would you like to see with covering?"

Duke replied, "staticsounds, it would be so incredibly awesome if you did Attitude by the Misfits!"

Duke then anxiously awaits covering video featuring Attitude by the Misfits. Duke can hardly sleep at night in anticipation of the video!

Then staticsound posts the video and covers STP.

WTF!?? LOL

• Members

I could always whip out the guitar, but I don't have the time. Did it help at all, at least with covering a G? One thing I forgot to mention, on the Misfits song anyways, instead of saying "attitude", it may be easier to slur it into "yeah-titude". Kinda helps with slingshoting that A into a deeper placement.

• Members

Hey! I'm brand new here - love reading through the forums and this thread - you people are awesome!

I'm just starting up my own Youtube channel right now, so I have some inspiration to get on with a few videos, having seen your great channel, Static Sound!

Andrew :)

• Members

Hey! I'm brand new here - love reading through the forums and this thread - you people are awesome!

I'm just starting up my own Youtube channel right now, so I have some inspiration to get on with a few videos, having seen your great channel, Static Sound!

Andrew
:)

Hey thanks man! I'm no vocal teacher of any kind, just worked with abunch of different ones over the years and figured I'd try to pass on things I've learned.

• Members

mr nash,

please do something on the messa di voce.

the problem with all the messa di voce vids out now is they only do it in one register- i.e. chest or head as an example. I would like a vid that goes over the messa di voce (both soft->loud & loud->soft) in all 3 registers in the same vid: chest, cover, head. And also maybe in twang mode and regular mode.

would be helpful.

thnx
duke

• Members

mr nash,

please do something on the messa di voce.

the problem with all the messa di voce vids out now is they only do it in one register- i.e. chest or head as an example. I would like a vid that goes over the messa di voce (both soft->loud & loud->soft) in all 3 registers in the same vid: chest, cover, head. And also maybe in twang mode and regular mode.

would be helpful.

thnx

duke

That's actually a good idea...as long as you stop referring to me as Mr. Nash!

• Members

You want the crackly "light" sound. You get that because your used to belting the F# and now youre trying something new. So your voice is like WTF? I had the same problem. Use the twang and keep your tongue pressed against your bottom teeth, itll keep your larynx stable. Eventually the cracking goes away once you retrain yourself. Aside from the sirens, start on F# in a light head tone and try to swell it. Starting light like that helps with the placement and building the muscle memory.

I'll try to get a Messa Di Voce vid up soon.

Archived