Screaming/yelling/whatever you want to call it...

staticsound

• Members

Yeah, I really want to do that one, but I need a synth player for it. I always liked that track he did for one of those Blair Witch movies, Disposable Teens...badass tune!

Have you heard the two Manson tunes I mentioned - his best songs IMO.

• Members

Hey guys, so I need a little help. I can sing gritty pretty well, but my band is wanting to add some Manson and Rob Zombie to the set and I don't want to try those really guttural screams unless I can figure out how to do them correctly. Any tips or advice, please send my way asap. Lol

My personal opinion based on doing it: I drank 3/5's of crown royal once in tahoe after losing a bet in a card game...

I could scream sound badass but I couldn't sing for 3 months afterward. I think if you were meant to scream you'd be able to do it without any horrible strain but

I listened to an new Eddie Veddar song and he sounded like he'd drank 10 liters of estrogen and poprocks!

• Members

LMAO, estrogen and poprocks!!

Like I said it's weird, I can do the Staley and Cornell type "yelling".....but when it comes to Manson, it's a whole different ballgame? {censored} it, I'll make the guitar player do the screaming parts if we add one, hehehe

• Members

find the dvd set 'the zen of screaming'. made a world of difference for me.

I've seen that DVD, and it is a good sort of theory, obviously usable.

What it produces does not quite equal the sound of a real person "scream singing" however?

It's creepy, certainly, but there is a "tameness" to it - the same emotion is not there

I'm still not sure if it's possible to produce in any other way. ???

For a while, I was going in an industrial direction, involving growling or screaming most of every song.

But it occurred to me - screaming loses it's dynamic effect if that's ALL there is, in a song, or in a band.

Jim Morrison (particularly early on) gets such a great range, sometimes within a single song

The "whine the verse and then scream the chorus" bands I hear on the radio now are trying to do this,

but it sounds "formulaic" and hollow - perhaps because it's as if "flipped by a switch"

actually, some vocal processors now have a "harsh-ifyer" you can dial in? "auto scream" ;-)

Before Marilyn did it ;-)

[video=youtube;PGmXg6WYJ1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGmXg6WYJ1U

• Members

Hey dude, there's a technique called fry screaming that might work for you. The important thing is that you don't engage your vocal folds while doing screams, that's what can ruin your voice. Here's a lesson I did on fry screaming, hopefully you'll find it useful:

[video=youtube;GRSBe2nqM48]

• Members

I've heard of the vocal fry scream. I can produce a pretty loud fry sound, but for the life of me, I cant turn it into that, lol. Does it feel the same as a normal vocal fry? Bty, I like the War cover!

@VJFranzK - Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the Melissa Cross stuff. Her DVDs seem to just be shameless self promotion, plugging her vocal studio. I agree with you on the {censored} on the radio nowadays.

• Members

@Masklin: Your observation is right on, there is no pitch to it (other than overtones based on what shape you make with your mouth). A fry scream is like the sound a crash cymbal makes in that it has no discernable pitch because there's no fundamental frequency there. It's an aquired taste, I didn't like it the first time I heard it, didn't get into bands that do a bunch of screaming until I heard bands like Killswitch Engage where the singer can also sing quite well (I still think all screaming all the time is really boring).

@staticsound: Thanks, glad you dug the War cover! Yeah the feeling is the same. The feeling isn't a real satisfying one (for lack of a better word), kind of like it's not as loud as you feel it should be. This is where mic technique comes in though. If you notice, lots of singers that do the screaming stuff bring the mic in real close, maybe even cupping it a bit when they go for a scream, then hold it out a bit more for normal singing parts. Fry screaming actually takes a ton of practice to do it consistently well, especially live. Start with the inward screams to get a feel for that other part of your throat connecting (false chords maybe, not sure), and then you'll know what to feel for when you do the outward screams

• Members

You can scream as much as you sing hard rock, as far as touring goes, with proper technique. I don't know how to do any type of non low-pitch screams, but I somehow know how to do vocal fry screaming naturally. It gets you really... really... low... But what I've heard and seemed to work when I tried it was to take your vocal fry scream and slowly raise the pitch. I just would rather focus on my singing then screaming. Good luck static, hope you figure it out because your always helpful to us.

Archived