Recording a demo. Honest Feedback, and suggestions on how to make my voice better

• Members

Here's some links of me singing covers and original songs. Please let me know what you think. I'm going in two weeks to make a demo and I really need advice about my voice, what I should fix and what I need to do to prepare and work on for the next couple of weeks.

Ain't No Sunshine:

My Emotion (Original Song): http://soundcloud.com/hannahclayton/my-emotion-original

Break even:

• Members

Here's some links of me singing covers and original songs. Please let me know what you think. I'm going in two weeks to make a demo and I really need advice about my voice, what I should fix and what I need to do to prepare and work on for the next couple of weeks.

Ain't No Sunshine:

My Emotion (Original Song):

Break even:

woah. hannah, how old are you?

• Members

Poor girl...gets the duke on her first post... :-)

You are pretty good, better with the guitar than solo, you will be fine. What are you doing a demo for?

The thing I would tell you is to go in knowing your material in and out so you don't spend time and money.

Good luck!

• Members

This is gonna come out as sounding rude, and I’ve not listened to your clip yet as I’m having computer issues, but…why would someone commit to making a demo…before they even were that sure of how they sounded / if they sound alright? You know? Shouldn’t someone come here first and THEN make a demo at some point down the track?

• Members

well, watch out for Vardon and Rodney,
Staticsound
, and especially Mikey. Chester and I will protect you from them. Don't worry. We got your back.

"When I was 17...it was a very good year, a very good year..."

Seriously though, know your {censored} inside and out so you don't waste your money!

• Members

This is gonna come out as sounding rude, and I’ve not listened to your clip yet as I’m having computer issues, but…why would someone commit to making a demo…before they even were that sure of how they sounded / if they sound alright? You know? Shouldn’t someone come here first and THEN make a demo at some point down the track?

Good point :thu:

• Members

well, watch out for Vardon and Rodney, Staticsound, and especially Mikey. Chester and I will protect you from them. Don't worry. We got your back.

Oh gosh Duke, I don't play for that team, remember?

@Grace, wow. I was thinking that when I read her post.

• Members

I'm listening to "My Emotion." I think you sing well. I'm assuming the chords at 8 seconds and 1:20 are tiny mistakes, that's OK but if they aren't mistakes then those chords sound odd to me. At 1:53, 3:05, 3:16 something happens, it's those high notes.

I would record the song over and over again to prepare for the recording session. Can you record with a metronome? An engineer might use a click track to synchronize additional tracks. You might ask the recording engineer how to prepare for your recording session.

Do you have a vision of "My Emotion" with layered vocals, backup and harmony vocals? Can you make a home recording of your vision to send to the recording engineer and communicate your concept of the song? I suspect that the more you work out in advance, the fewer problems you have later in the studio.

• Members

Because I've been here before, on the songwriting forum. I've won many talent shows and even got 3rd place in a song writers competition in Nashville. I've been invited to sing at different places. It's not a matter of if I can sing, I know I can it's what I need to tweak in the next few weeks so I can get the best sound possible.

• Members

Poor girl...gets the duke on her first post... :-)

You are pretty good, better with the guitar than solo, you will be fine. What are you doing a demo for?

The thing I would tell you is to go in knowing your material in and out so you don't spend time and money.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I was just going to do a simple demo of three of my original songs because I'm going to Nashville for a couple of weeks this summer. I'm going to be playing at open mic nights and taking my demo around to places.

• Members

well, watch out for Vardon and Rodney, Staticsound, and especially Mikey. Chester and I will protect you from them. Don't worry. We got your back.

Yes, cause I am so always hitting on all the girls that come into this forum. On an unrelated note: Ever notice how some people accuse others of things they are themselves guilty of? I think Hannah can figure out who the creepers are. Hint: they are always the first to ask your age ;-)

Anyways back OT: Hannah I thought you sounded pretty good. Watch some of your high notes, you getting dangerously close to flattening out in a couple places.

• Members

I think Hannah can figure out who the creepers are. Hint: they are always the first to ask your age ;-)

I was merely asking her age to gauge her level of maturity and preparedness to go into the recording session. They can be stressful for teenagers who are still going thru all that teenage stuff.

• Members

I was merely asking her age to gauge her level of maturity and preparedness to go into the recording session. They can be stressful for teenagers who are still going thru all that teenage stuff.

I see. Well then your concern is touching... I am sure she is comforted knowing you are there for her....

Hey what's that smell...? :)

Archived