TC-Helicon VoiceLive Touch-Will It Improve Your Voice?

Steadfastly

• Members

Since this unit also has "pitch" correction ability, would it improve someone's voice if their pitch was a little wanting?

I haven't had much experience with this unit, but one would think that as long as your pitch isn't waaaaay off, it would probably be fine. I've read about some horror stories with people using Autotune live though. TC-Helicon puts out some nice stuff though!

• Members

but no, it won't improve your voice. it will correct your pitch if your a few cents sharp or flat. it adds some reverb, eq etc to your vox, but doesn't improve the natural tone of your voice.

It sounds very interesting. I would like to try it but I'm not a profession singer and I don't even gig.

• Members

If you get this, let me know how the FX sound. I may be interested in something like this. I don't ever trust the soundguy....even though my career is live sound engineering, lol

I've got a Create XT, which is fine for me. Some light de-essing, tone and reverb. There's plenty of other FX, but honestly, I don't really see the use (especially hard tune, ech, TC's version of the autotune effect). The touch looks cool, and if it weren't for the store's return for credit only policy, I would be trying one out tonight (went shopping today :) and saw one at my regular store, I was more looking for mic's and pres at the time).

• Members

I've got a Create XT, which is fine for me. Some light de-essing, tone and reverb. There's plenty of other FX, but honestly, I don't really see the use (especially hard tune, ech, TC's version of the autotune effect). The touch looks cool, and if it weren't for the store's return for credit only policy, I would be trying one out tonight (went shopping today
:)
and saw one at my regular store, I was more looking for mic's and pres at the time).

Yeah, I want one for delay and verb...don't care much for pitch correction. The harmonizer might be kind of cool though. I'm debating on blowing my tax return on either in-ears or a TC product, lol.

• Members

The harmonizer might be kind of cool though. I'm debating on blowing my tax return on either in-ears or a TC product, lol.

StaticSound...

I use the TC Helicon Harmony G. It's a great tool and really makes the backing vocals pop. I just need to remember to "bypass" when I speak between songs. If you go to our website and click on the "sample video" button, the 1st song, Burning Love, I use the Harmony G. You can see I take it out of bypass just before we start.

I'll watch for other posts to get feedback on the pitch control products.

• Members

StaticSound...

I use the TC Helicon Harmony G. It's a great tool and really makes the backing vocals pop. I just need to remember to "bypass" when I speak between songs. If you go to our website and click on the "sample video" button, the 1st song, Burning Love, I use the Harmony G. You can see I take it out of bypass just before we start.

I'll watch for other posts to get feedback on the pitch control products.

Dude, that harmonizer sounds pretty damn good...I may hold off on the in-ears

• Members

Since this unit also has "pitch" correction ability, would it improve someone's voice if their pitch was a little wanting?

Did you ever listen to a recording of your voice with and without Autotune type effect? It can be a subtle effect unless you turn it up for that T-Pain sound.

I doubt that people in the bars that I visit notice slight off pitch singing.

• Members

Yeah, I want one for delay and verb...don't care much for pitch correction. The harmonizer might be kind of cool though. I'm debating on blowing my tax return on either in-ears or a TC product, lol.

buy them both used. go to Guitar Center.com and click on the used gear section. GC Used probably has the best deals on the web collectively.

the Vegas GC has a used Harmony G right now for 150. Then you bargain from there. offer them 90. they'll go "no." That's when I usually say something to the effect of "It's not YOUR inventory (the person), it's GC's inventory. What do you care?" A little more tactful tho. Works great.

• Members

Used a Harmony-G for 3 years. The Harmonies are pretty slick and I had several other musicians come up to me after gigs asking about it. NO pitch correction on that one, so if you are off, not so good.

But...nothing fixes off pitch singing like practicing. A live pitch correction tool may help what the crowd hears, but it won't help you get better at singing. Singing and ear training fixes pitch issues. I suspect that for the same amount of time if you sang with a pitch correction device, vs not using one, you would see better improvement without one.

Ear training also helps you play other instruments.

• Members

Used a Harmony-G for 3 years. The Harmonies are pretty slick and I had several other musicians come up to me after gigs asking about it. NO pitch correction on that one, so if you are off, not so good.

But...nothing fixes off pitch singing like practicing. A live pitch correction tool may help what the crowd hears, but it won't help you get better at singing. Singing and ear training fixes pitch issues. I suspect that for the same amount of time if you sang with a pitch correction device, vs not using one, you would see better improvement without one....

Actually, that's not entirely true, as the pitch correction on devices like this can be used as an ear training tool: Assuming that you can hear yourself, you will hear a slightly dissonant doubling of your voice when you're off pitch. This leads you (or should lead you) naturally to correct yourself in order to resolve the dissonance. TC Helicon makes this point in their promotional materials. Even if you never use the pitch correction for live performances, they claim, you can work on your pitch by using it during practices. I've found this way of working on pitch very helpful. YMMV.

• Members

Totally agree with Mikey...It wont improve your voice but it will make you sound better in live situations. So if you plan on doing a live gig it will make it a lot better, but if you want to improve your singing it will not help IMO

Archived