judge my singing please

Mercenary

• Moderators

what would you consider an Easy song?

During my high school days, I use to practice singing 'Puff the magic dragon' while strumming the chords. And I practiced it in various keys. It has a simple enough melody, lyrics, and chord progression.

Note.. I did this for over a month. lol :rolleyes:

• Members

Oh yeah, that’s another thing. Be careful with changing keys in songs you know that you practice singing in tune with. It may confuse you and you may get out of tune even more…unless you’ve got some sort of technical knowledge whereby you can change the key of songs

Some early Beatles songs may be easy (Yellow Submarine, Octopuses Garden, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Hello Goodbye, etc)…but it all depends on your own voice and also whether you know and also like the songs. You have to like the songs.

• Members

During my high school days, I use to practice singing 'Puff the magic dragon' while strumming the chords. And I practiced it in various keys. It has a simple enough melody, lyrics, and chord progression.

Note.. I did this for over a month. lol
:rolleyes:

When I was a kid I would cry every time that song came on the radio!:cry: So sad...so sad.

How did you ever survive a month of singing it? Did you contemplate suicide? :rolleyes:

• Members

Hmm, well…I don’t know the intricacies of your own voice, so it’s really up to you to find an easy song for yourself to do and practice on. And not just one, but try and find 5 or so that you just feel CLICK with your voice. Easy songs consist of (at least for me), most or all of the following…

1. Within your comfortable range. You don’t ever feel a stretch either too low or too high

2. Your voice feels kind of relaxed when singing the song

3. It’s a fairly slow or mid-tempo song. NOT too fast and not too many words, as too many words make it more difficult to get good sound from your voice, especially when you’re new to singing You want songs with many long sounds like AAHH or EEEH or OOOH, etc. In fact, if you like songs that don’t have this, maybe try and NOT sing the words at first, but rather just sing the vowel sounds by themselves…it will sound odd, but it doesn’t matter. It might help you to get used to singing on the right NOTE before words come in to complicate stuff

4. It should be a song you don’t mind listening to several times over and over, after you’ve recorded yourself singing it, so you can hear your shortcomings and work to improve them

I’m sure there’re more things, but I can’t think right now. My brain is tired. Lol.

Correct! As a classical singer and vocal coach, singing the (vowels in the words) is a great start. I have many students that have good voices but suffered pitch problems. Once the pitch problem is solved you'll be on your way.

• Members

Yeah, this is the thing. Once you're able to sing in tune all of the time, you're good to go. At least in terms of your voice anyway, cause you've got that nice sound and texture to it.

Many people can sing in tune just fine, but their voices don't sound as nice as your's...

• Members

Try the Singing Success series by Brett Manning. It has vocal exercises cds that you can sing along with and practice singing with the piano notes.

My first semester of vocal lessons, my instructor had me sing The Water Is Wide. That seems like a good beginner's song to try.

Archived