How to expand vocal range?

greenoz

• Moderators

There isn't any foolproof/easy method to expand your vocal range. There's many methods, but there's up and downsides to most of them. If I find a good method to increase vocal range, then I'll let you know. ;)

• Members

You might need to give a bit more info before anyone can really help.
:idk:

For starters, what's your current range? Are you stuck in your chest range, or do you sing in head voice too? etc.

i do both(chest and head), but most of the time i prefer head :)

• Moderators

Hey guise,

I know i haven't found the master method or anything yet.

But don't wanna be ass and not contribute :lol:

Anyways.. recently I've been experimenting and combining various exercises together. And apparently I've been experiencing more head voice mixed into my lower notes. And also in my middle register, I tried reducing my chest voice and using mostly head voice. Which made the notes come out with less effort, and sounded more 'ringing' and less shouting. lol

Some things that I did were combining breath management exercises like the hiss to hum to tone with exercises that work the middle register. And I also do staccato head voice exercises and combined it with 'ng' exercise.

I'm not entirely sure if this method is going to have a good result. But I'm gonna keep practicing and let you guys know.

• Members

Hey guise,

I know i haven't found the master method or anything yet.

But don't wanna be ass and not contribute
:lol:

Anyways.. recently I've been experimenting and combining various exercises together. And apparently I've been experiencing more head voice mixed into my lower notes. And also in my middle register, I tried reducing my chest voice and using mostly head voice. Which made the notes come out with less effort, and sounded more 'ringing' and less shouting. lol

Some things that I did were combining breath management exercises like the hiss to hum to tone with exercises that work the middle register. And I also do staccato head voice exercises and combined it with 'ng' exercise.

I'm not entirely sure if this method is going to have a good result. But I'm gonna keep practicing and let you guys know.

Nice. Have you finished singorama?

• Moderators

Nice. Have you finished singorama?

No, I don't use Singorama. I have some classical voice training. Recently I've been tweaking around with the classical exercises and customizing them to obtain certain effects and then combining all the effects together. Lately I've been alternating between exercises back and forth and trying to maintain the 'sensations' of the specific exercises and combine those sensations together.

Aside from this, I've done other singing methods in the past. Like some speech level singing, and some other unorthodox methods, which didn't seem to help.

• Members

Stretching the range gradually by singing along with songs that are currently too high is a good way. GRADUALLY and GENTLY is important though, so as not to strain. Eventually what right now is way too high for you will become natural. The best way to actually sing these notes to get them (head voice), that I don't know how to accomplish, but others seem to be onto that and giving good advice, so...good luck!

• Members

Well, I basically have done what Grace has already suggested, singing slightly out of my range, and I started with songs that challenged me as a bass-baritone, and my range has stretched from an octave to a few notes over three in full. I can sing down to the low C (it BORDERS on fry, but it's full) and halfway through soprano range, topping at the F above tenor high C in a strong, well-blended mixed/head voice. (If soprano range goes up to A5, then I'll assume I can sing in most of that range)

Keep in mind this was only possible after 5-8 years without any lessons.. I figured everything out on my own through trial and error and after hitting countless mental and physical blocks.. All of the time throughout wondering if I'll ever actually have a chance at fulfilling my goals.. But even after I was certain I didn't have the "genetics" to push myself to where I wanted to be, I kept going, just because I couldn't see myself not trying.. It worked eventually. I've been singing for almost half of my life. Started when I was somewhere between 8 and 10, and it's been about 7-9 years since then. My progress certainly didn't happen overnight, and I literally sang almost every day. I've even sang and belted on days when I was sick, which I never really felt pain from, and apparently upon an insertion to check my cords the doctor found that they're totally clean.

My head voice is still being developed now, as I've only recently "found" it and it's been getting better and more consistent with practice. I've never really strained myself, but I never hesitated to "push" a bit, s'long as I wasn't in any physical pain or else I'd know to stop. I NEVER scream. Singing raw is a no-no for me, I always belt and if I get some scratchiness/rawness in my voice, it's never forced, and it usually happens when I'm tiring my voice out and not breathing as often as necessary or whatever..

Just find a song that challenges you. I think it's ALWAYS possible to go higher, but going lower is a different story. Be happy that your voice starts in a low place, because you could probably keep that low end and gradually increase your higher end. If you've got a high placed voice, that falsetto-y head voice stuff is probably much easier for you, or falsetto is easier to mistake as head voice, ect.. Hope this helps someone.

• Members

Yeah, right on, Robbo!! :)

I actually stretched my range up AND down, though the upper ranges have a lot more potential to grow than the lower ones, eh?

I couldn't even sing the highest (end) note of that song, Xanadu, when I was 12 years old. HAH! It is to LAUGH! I found that I wanted SO much to sing certain songs that I'd work and work until I could reach whatever note it was I was aiming for...and because I loved the song, it really didn't feel at ALL like work.

By the time I was 14 I could reach the highest note in Phantom of the Opera. That is a DAMN HIGH note. I could also do all those lame Mariah Carey-esque squeaking notes she does...ugh. Not proud of that. lol

But the point is - I STRETCHED FAR on my own, gradually over 2 or so years.

Before I was 12, I only sang sometimes, as a young kid. It was only from 12 that I started singing most days / nights along to my favourite songs...so I've been singing most days for a total of almost 20 years. YIPES!! I'm old! LOL

Archived