singing w/ a cold and flem drainage

J.Paul

• Members

We're in the last days of a 14 day run in South Texas for spring break and I have a cold with drainage (it's more likely that it is an allergy, as I forgot to take my meds for a while). I have to sing tonight (fortunately it's only 7 or 8 songs in a 4 hour night).

I still have (occasional) access to my head voice and a tiny bit of control over tone and vibrato but otherwise just have to "sack up" and get through it. I'm finding that I have to place my jaws (or mandibles) in slightly different angles to sing through the flem on my break points.

Anyone got any advice?

• Members

Whenever I get a cold with drainage it really affects my vocal higher range, pretty much switching off my vocal chords for high notes.

I found that using 'Sudafed' or a similar decongestant dried up the drainage and allowed my vocal chords to recover within a few hours! Completed a full 2 x 45 minute gig with little problem when I would otherwise have really struggled.

I think this kind of decongestant is well worth considering as a short term remedy, particularly if you have to sing on any particular day, but I also endorse Overdrivens advice ( on this thread ) to deal with the root cause of the phleghm drainage problem.

Take the decongestant for about 24 hours before the performance and make sure you take a dose about half an hour before going on stage, to make sure you get the best effects.

You may also benefit from blowing your nose gently into a handkerchief just before going on stage, just to remove any mucus that may drain into your throat as you warm up your voice.

If the problem is with a head cold, it may help if you breathe warm moist air through your mouth and nose. You can do this easily by filling a fairly large bowl with hot water, covering your head and the bowl with a towel, and breathing the warmed moist air from off the hot water. Be careful that the warmed air is not too hot as this can give your throat and nose a bit of a shock! You may also want to put some menthol into the water if this helps.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

If the phlegm is pale green and looks like it should be luminous, you have a chest infection and you need to go to the doctor to get it checked. Chest infections are mostly minor things but if not treated properly, can drain all your energy and turn into something nastier... that's how I got pleurisy, but it could just as easily have turned to something nastier.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

We're in the last days of a 14 day run in South Texas for spring break and I have a cold with drainage (it's more likely that it is an allergy, as I forgot to take my meds for a while). I have to sing tonight (fortunately it's only 7 or 8 songs in a 4 hour night).

I still have (occasional) access to my head voice and a tiny bit of control over tone and vibrato but otherwise just have to "sack up" and get through it. I'm finding that I have to place my jaws (or mandibles) in slightly different angles to sing through the flem on my break points.

Anyone got any advice?

Dude I remember when this happened to me and I only had

to sing one song (trainwreck) :p

What I did to wow the crowd was play ridiculous arpeggios

and just "wail" on the piano (not sure if this is even possible) but

I did it and the crowd focused more on my piano playing.

You should come out swinging with awesome riffs and changes

so right off the bat the focus can be on your playing.

If you're just doing vocals try not to *push it*

I mean go into falsetto for the really top notes can increase

your longevity when the chords don't want to play right.:thu:

Archived