so what do you do when your voice has bad tone?

EvilSoup

• Members

I hope you're right.

I'm just frustrated since every other other instrument I practice in sees improvement, but I just keep going in circles with singing.

Everyone says that my tone is actually good, but I just can't hear it.
:idk:

Got a kinda of violent femes quality about it. Thats not a bad thing either.

go see a vocal coach.

• Members

I feel like I'm hearing something completely different than everyone else.

I know it's natural to dislike your own voice, but I didn't think my perception would be so off.

It's really hard to work on something that you have a distorted perspective of; kind of like trying to mix a song with bad monitors.

I suppose that's the reason for the coach. I'm just so used to teaching myself everything though, it feels weird to not have control. :idk:

• Members

Can you put that in a Soundclick account?
www.soundclick.com

I can never listen to songs on Myspace anymore.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8595273

:wave:

I also have a newer song I haven't written lyrics and sung for yet, because so far I haven't been satisfied with the result.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8595390

I like to do all of the instruments/recording myself, as well as being self taught. Also although the Look Up track has drum loops in it, in this song I'm playing my drum kit.

However I just can't seem to get my singing to a point where I like it, and right now it's the weak link in the chain. I feel as though it brings everything else down. But then again you may hear it differently. :poke:

• Members

Wow, that song’s really nice, the one with no lyrics yet. It’s very laid back and breezy. It sounds completely polished and professional to me. Makes my own creations sound like kid’s work. *cringe*

Look Up…I’m just listening now…your voice has a GOOD quality in my opinion. It’s not a boring boy-band type voice…it’s interesting…it could go places I think, seriously. I really like the song itself too. It’s cool.

Also, if you just don’t particularly care for your specific sound of voice (being unique from anyone else’s), that’s where the various EQ things, reverb things, and other subtle effects come in that you can use in a studio or at home…to try to soften or de-emphasise whatever it is you’re not liking in your voice…

• Members

Wow, that song’s really nice, the one with no lyrics yet. It’s very laid back and breezy. It sounds completely polished and professional to me. Makes my own creations sound like kid’s work. *cringe*

Look Up…I’m just listening now…your voice has a GOOD quality in my opinion. It’s not a boring boy-band type voice…it’s interesting…it could go places I think, seriously. I really like the song itself too. It’s cool.

Also, if you just don’t particularly care for your specific sound of voice (being unique from anyone else’s), that’s where the various EQ things, reverb things, and other subtle effects come in that you can use in a studio or at home…to try to soften or de-emphasise whatever it is you’re not liking in your voice…

Thanks for listening and for the thoughts. :wave:

Only if I liked my voice as much as everyone else did. :freak:

I might be a bit more productive then. :lol:

• Members

That could be me speaking those words about my own voice. I have NEVER liked my own “unique” tone. UGH. I find it repellent and awkward, but am slowly coming to accept it more…and I love singing, so I have to do it regardless of my own dislike of how I sound.

• Members

That could be me speaking those words about my own voice. I have NEVER liked my own “unique” tone. UGH. I find it repellent and awkward, but am slowly coming to accept it more…and I love singing, so I have to do it regardless of my own dislike of how I sound.

But you have an incredible voice! :eek:

I guess I'm not alone in this. Some of my favorite artists also despise their vocals too.

"It annoys me how pretty my voice is... how polite it can sound when perhaps what I'm singing is deeply acidic." - Thom Yorke

Also Lennon hated his voice, and that is why he tried to cover it up so much with effects in the Beatles. :lol:

I guess our recorded voices must fall in the uncanny valley, as they are not close enough to sound like the voice in our head, but aren't different enough to sound like another person.

uncannyvalley1_422x330.jpg

I still can't quite wrap my brain around it though. :evil:

• Members

Much like the rest of you singers, I gargle semen....because ya'll are fags.

Protein FTW! Boom Nutshot...in ya throat.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an Everquest character that needs my attention. Goodnight.

Therapy. Get it.:cop:

• Members

Tone certainly can be improved through voical training. Consider the many voices that Bob Dylan and David Bowie have adopted over the years. Consider vocal ventriloquists, who can shape their voices on the fly to mimic the tone of famous singers. These examples may not always constitute improvement, but they do support the notion that tone can be changed.

As far as liking one's own voice is concerned, the problem is that the heightened resonance of internal hearing (bone conduction, etc.) produces an exaggerated reaction when we listen to our voices without this extra sweetener. The truth is that neither of these experiences is true. Inside our heads we sound better than we really do, and on the outside we don't sound nearly as bad to others as we do to ourselves. What we hear on the outside is the naked voice stripped of that sweet resonance (:eek:), but other people of course don't have access to this inner resonance and hence are necessarily more objective.

Needless to say, pitch is pitch, so pitch is not affected by the inside/outside distinction. But tone is affected--mightly so, I might add. For most people singing is an act of faith.

It is true that repeated listening to oneself can help a lot. I record and listen to myself almost every day, and I've slowly come to like my voice--although relapses are frequent.

• Members

Tone certainly can be improved through voical training. Consider the many voices that Bob Dylan and David Bowie have adopted over the years. Consider vocal ventriloquists, who can shape their voices on the fly to mimic the tone of famous singers. These examples may not always constitute improvement, but they do support the notion that tone can be changed.

As far as liking one's own voice is concerned, the problem is that the heightened resonance of internal hearing (bone conduction, etc.) produces an exaggerated reaction when we listen to our voices without this extra sweetener. The truth is that neither of these experiences is true. Inside our heads we sound better than we really do, and on the outside we don't sound nearly as bad to others as we do to ourselves. What we hear on the outside is the naked voice stripped of that sweet resonance (
:eek:
), but other people of course don't have access to this inner resonance and hence are necessarily more objective.

Needless to say, pitch is pitch, so pitch is not affected by the inside/outside distinction. But tone is affected--mightly so, I might add. For most people singing is an act of faith.

It is true that repeated listening to oneself can help a lot. I record and listen to myself almost every day, and I've slowly come to like my voice--although relapses are frequent.

Good post. :phil:

Archived