RotoSound 66LD...

Geddy'sFavHeadache

• Members

I like them for that mean, gritty rock sound with round low mids.

I stopped buying them because way too often you get dead strings right out of the pack.

I switched to Ernie Ball and never had the problem again.

• Members

I used to use nothing but the Rotos. I had the steels on my P and the nickels on my jazz. The steels were bright but a bit rough for me. The nickels I liked but they'd lose their brightness pretty quickly. I used D'Addario XL nickels for a while after that. I've since switched to GHS Progressives. They're very bright, durable, and not as expensive as the Rotos. And yes they work great for that bright Geddy tone.

• Members

I used them a couple times and I've had the most horrible experience. Some strings would be dead, others would sound completely different, they ate up the frets and didn't have enough tone to make up for it... ETC. I think I just had a bad batch... or two or three. I switched over and starting using DR High Beams which not only sound like pure sex, but they lasted longer and were waaay more versatile than the Roto's. I think because I have my Ric, I'm going to buy one more pack just to see if: A- Thier not dead B- Pretend i'm Chris Squire/Geddy. Dave Merros (I think that

• Members

I used Rotos for about 8 years, then swtiched to Superwounds (which had just the core wire over the bridge) because they seemed to last a little longer and break less and had pretty much the same sound. After about 10 more years I switched over to Ken Smith Tapercores, which last longer still and are more consistent in quality. I like fresh strings on a fretted bass...I move them over to the fretless once they start getting too mellow.

• Members

I use Roto RS66LE Heavy Gauge. I concur with Jazz on the dead strings once in a while, however it has been a long time since that happened.

They snap and growl like a piano and everything in between. I love them.

• Members

Originally posted by THB_bassman

Glad to hear this; I have been wanting to try those.

Any comments on the quality or service?

Thanks

Service-shipped quickly, cheap, the one set I've used had all new-sounding strings in it when I put them on.

Quality-I bought the stainless ones. Died pretty quick. Then I soaked them in rubbing alcohol before a gig, and wiped them down good, and they lasted for another two months (about 40 practices and 10 gigs). Still have some life left in them, if I cleaned them again they'd probably sound new.

And I have two more packs of them! I like 'em!

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Service-shipped quickly, cheap, the one set I've used had all new-sounding strings in it when I put them on.

Quality-I bought the stainless ones. Died pretty quick. Then I soaked them in rubbing alcohol before a gig, and wiped them down good, and they lasted for another two months (about 40 practices and 10 gigs). Still have some life left in them, if I cleaned them again they'd probably sound new.

And I have two more packs of them! I like 'em!

Thanks- 40 practices and 10 gigs sounds like a very reasonable life span to me, as long as rotosounds, anyhow.

I think I'll give them a try.

:cool:

• Members

i've had rotos on my bass the last month, (66LD's) and haven't had one problem. They're well broken in and still have that brightness. i pay $20 for them at Guitar Center here in Denver. i guess if i ever get a defective string, i might switch to D Darrios's somethin a rather:confused:

Archived