I'm finally working on the new cab

burdizzos

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

So where on the tonal spectrum (say, Accugroove to Ampeg) does this baby fall?

I've never played and Accugroove, so I cannot comment.

It's tough to say until I get it into a rehearsal.

I'm thinking that it's in the hi-fi category, little to no cab coloration of the sound.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you want to stain wood,and want it to look like the color on the can,you have to seal the wood first.Wood or wood products dont have the same grain patterns and dont have the same density.Thats why you see the blotching effect.To keep uniformity when staining wood you have to seal it with wood sealer and sometimes with grain filler to get that deep rich look.But thats not neccesarily the look you want for a cab thats going to get banged around

• Members

Look man, I underestimated the amount of poly that I wanted to apply and the required drying times.

Sure, I could rush the project, but I've no interest in that sort of thing.

I have another rehearsal on Saturday and if I'm feeling inspired, I might just finish it by then.

• Members
Originally posted by burdizzos

Look man, I underestimated the amount of poly that I wanted to apply and the required drying times.

Sure, I could rush the project, but I've no interest in that sort of thing.

I have another rehearsal on Saturday and if I'm feeling inspired, I might just finish it by then.

I'll check back with ya on Sunday!
:)

• Members
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I'll check back with ya on Sunday!

:)

If I get it over there for Saturday's practice, I'll be sure to fill you in Saturday night.

I am going to complete construction tonight, so stay up late for some pictures.

All that will be left after today might be a few more coats of poly.

• Members

If I get it over there for Saturday's practice, I'll be sure to fill you in Saturday night.

I am going to complete construction tonight, so stay up late for some pictures.

All that will be left after today might be a few more coats of poly.

I'll get home from work tonight about 10:30 EST and certainly won't go to bed until midnight or later your time.

I don't know what I'm getting so hyped up about anyway. Even if the cab fulfulls the goals that you've set (which I anticipate that it will), my getting one will likely be a ways away as I would expect it to take you a while to be able to build me one and ship it anyway.

• Members

I wouldn't feel comfortable shipping one to you until I've verified that this cab will work for a long period of time.

I'll work the hell out of this one for about a month. I'll practice with the band twice a week and bring it home after every practice and then beat it up at home for about a month before I'll call it good.

I have a real problem with pimping defective merchandise.

So, you've got time to think about how you want it to look.

Go to lowes and pick out some stain, polyurethane or paint and let me know what you want.

• Members

Almost there.

Just a bit more poly and the plastic corner protectors and I'll be finished.

topangle5jg.jpg

closer3lg.jpg

Pretty sweet burdizzos! My dad has old stereo speakers from the mid 70s that look shockingly similar :p

• Members
Originally posted by beam

Pretty sweet burdizzos! My dad has old stereo speakers from the mid 70s that look shockingly similar
:p

That was my goal. The speaker systems from the 70's looked cool and had class. Now I just need to attach the sideburns.

:D

Thanks for all of the kind words.

• Members

I rocked the cab today with the band.

I parked it in front of my 2x12 abd just moved the speaker cable from one cab to the other.

No adjustments were needed on the head to get a great sound and volume was no problem.

I guess the Deltalite 12 is about 3 db more efficient than the Delta 12 LF because this cab is every bit as loud as the 2x12.

There was a slight difference in low end, but that was to be expected. It still handles the Low-B just fine and sounds fantastic.

My drummer and guitarist were impressed that so much was coming out of so little. And when they each picked up the cab, they were shocked.

In short, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

I sure am glad this worked out so well, it would have been a bitch to spend so much time on something and be disappointed.

• Members

I rocked the cab today with the band.

I parked it in front of my 2x12 abd just moved the speaker cable from one cab to the other.

No adjustments were needed on the head to get a great sound and volume was no problem.

I guess the Deltalite 12 is about 3 db more efficient than the Delta 12 LF because this cab is every bit as loud as the 2x12.

There was a slight difference in low end, but that was to be expected. It still handles the Low-B just fine and sounds fantastic.

My drummer and guitarist were impressed that so much was coming out of so little. And when they each picked up the cab, they were shocked.

In short, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

I sure am glad this worked out so well, it would have been a bitch to spend so much time on something and be disappointed.

Fabulous job - I'm a droolin' here! :cool:

Sorry for the annoying question, but how would you describe (compare/contrast) its performance and tone compared to other mass produced cabinets you've played through?

I think that's the best looking cab I've ever seen. It would look perfect for many of the small pubs and lounges here in Boston.

• Members

It's not an annoying question, it's a perfectly legitimate question.

I'd say that out of all of the cabs that I've played, this one sounds the most like a Bergantino or SWR and the least like an Ampeg.

It has a very flat response and doesn't color the sound much at all. Some folks, like that, some folks hate that. I couple it with an Eden WT-330 for a sub 50 pound rig that can keep up withn a half stack and a loud drummer. I really like the built in EQ that the Eden has, so a flat cab works for me.

Archived