DOD FX25 Env. Filter... good or bad..??

godxofxemptiness

• Members

well im looking for a good envelope filter, and ive heard the dod fx25 is great for the price (im kind of poor as of late), but im not so sure about it.... the reviews on it here are so mixed i cant decide. half of the reviews give it a 9-10, the other half give it a 4-5.

are there any other good ones that wont destroy my wallet, or should i just try the dod out?

• Members

for the 39 bucks nothing comes close , I like mine I have many Auto filters , it sounds alot like a Q tron , they all take alittle getting use to and you need to dial them in according to how you attack the strings , my personal fav is a EBS BassIQ way more $ as I said nothing can come close for that $.

• Members

i had one too. The FX-25b. a nice sound, but hard to set up. Not easy to find the good for attack. and a lost of bass frequencies if you push the set up to have a really "wha" sound. Not really convinced.

But try it; it can goes right for you. Sound is nice.

• Members

As always,

I'll suggest you check out :

ELECTRO-HARMONIX

pedals...

the Mini Q-Tron and the Bassballs are interesting pedals that are pretty cheap (under 100$ US I think). Try 'em out before buying anything else, they've got unique sounds... plus a true bypass switching.

• Members

I think it has a really tricky attack. So it is a matter of learning to play the effect. But it's pretty good envelope filter.

There are other options., As Jazz said, the digitech synth-wah is good and only costs a little more.

Boss also just came out with a new bass syth pedal which has a envelope filter one it. I like the older Boss model, haven't tried the new one.

IMHO, the holy grail for EFs is the Maxon af-9 it attacks and sweeps beautifully. But it's pricey.

• Members

It depends on what you want to use it for....

If you're going for the Bootsy vibe, then it's terrible. Because there's no lo pass, it gets very thin sounding.

However, it is awesome for what I call the "rap" bass sound. If you turn the sensitivity all the way down (fully counter-clockwise) and the range all the way up, you can get a huge dark woofy sound (big boost around 100hz I think) as long as you pick really lightly. Perfect for someone who plays reggae or for someone else who normally likes a clear bass sound but wants a massive muddy sound on a few songs.

Archived