Psychodots: Taken To School

phatster

• Members

hmmm.....if TTTTTTT=Thunderbroom, and Psycho=Psychodots, then I can offer a few words.

Quite simply, those three guys rocked the place harder than that place has been rocked in a very very long time. The crowd was kind of thin, but every single person in the joint (including the staff) was getting down big time.

Bob was on fire. He has amazing chops and uses them to drive and support the music. The guitarist was also incredible, as was the drummer.

It was an awsome show....so much so in fact that the band that followed them was promted to say, "We kind of feel like that team that always had to play the Harlem Globtotters, having to follow the psychodots."

It was also fun to hang with the other Forumites and their sig. others....I believe some evidence....er....photographs were taken to document the evening.

If Ive entirely misinterperted this thread then......nevermind.

Peace,

D

• Members

As requested by phatster...

I figured I should start a thread instead of posting in his so that folks would know what the thread was about.

So...

Catphish nailed it.

Bob, Rob and Chris were so freakin' tight. They ruled the school. I was shocked when Bob told me afterwards that they only play out once or twice a year! Most bands aren't that tight that play out several times a week.

For those of you that engage in the Pick vs. Fingers debate: Stop! Bob's fingers were going 150 mph most of the evening but he also wielded a pick on occasion. It's not an "either/or"...it's likely an "and". He rocked the Clevinger too!

In short, Bob schooled me on bass. I was blown away a couple of years ago when he was playing in my basement. In a band situation, WOW!

Those in attendance from the forum: catphish, T. Alan Smith, bpocall, and me. All of us had our SO except catphish...my wife would have preferred not to come based on the last day or so that we've had...long hours helping to build sets for a play that my daughter is in. BUT, she was so glad that she came. She really enjoys haning out with my forum buddies. I never tire of seeing you folks.

And on a somewhat related note, it looks like Yard Fulla Cars will be sharing the stage with Uncle Boogie Pants in Aurora in August! I'm so freakin' pumped!! We're just waiting on the confirmation date.

Hey...I realize that this is probably pretty damned dorky, but it so so freakin' cool to be on "the list" when we got to the venue. I've never been on "the list". :cool:

Anyway...I had a great night. My wife has to be hurting because she had to get up early this morning and go back to Chicago to pick up the kids (plus they're doing something this morning downtown). My wife kicks maximum ass.

T. Alan tooks some pics (actually his lovely wife did) of the crew. They're still in the city, so I would expect to see the pics until this evening at the earliest.

The Psychodots are heading to Indy right now. Have a great gig fellas!!

• Members

I'd like to add something else that I learned last night:

Tone is indeed in the fingers.

I'm pretty sure that the opening act's bassist used Bob's rig. It sounded totally different with Bob playing it. I'm convinced that tone has more to do with touch than it does playing a $200, $1200 or $2200 bass.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I'm convinced that tone has more to do with touch than it does playing a $200, $1200 or $2200 bass.

banned.gif

so what if you're right :p

• Members

just got home from downtown Shy-town. I should have pics up by tomorrow eve. I'm beat right now!

First off, let me just say it was cool as hell, as usual, to hang with the other forumites here. We are just a cool-ass bunch of people!!!

Psychodots was beyond great. They were big-time great. They played between two very good bands, and that REALLY put the things into perspective. I was honestly unfamiliar with all of the bands that night and their music, so no biases here.

The 1st band's bass player DID use Bob's rig, and played an ol' P-type bass. The closing bass player played a J. Bob played his Jab P/J and stomped all over 'em. He was unbelievably huge sounding...well, the whole freakin' band was...huge and TIGHT! Like I said, the other bands were perfectly fine sounding, but the difference was a real eye opener.

=It's in the hands and the heart folks! :)

• Members

Hey guys - thanks very much for the kind words. It was SO great having you guys there, I really, really appreciate your making the effort to come out. Yeah, any time I get to play with those guys is a real treat.

Indy was a gas too - we were just kind of side-bar entertainment there - it WAS pole day - but it was still a blast. The guy who booked us there got us pit & garage passes & we had access to a suite that had unlimited food & beverage so we really got the star treatment. It was a pretty short night of sleep (we had to leave for Indy at 8 am the next morning) but overall a great weekend.

I slept like a rock last night. ;)

I think it's so cool that this board has so many great people on it -and we've actually gotten to know each other a little bit. You can never have too many friends.

Archived