The Thunderbroom Mega Blog

Thunderbroom

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm in talks with thebeatcatcher to build me a PVC EUB. He can do it for a fair price, and I think it would be cool to play with YFC on a song or two.

Here are my options, as I understood them from him:

I'm asking here because I have no idea. I tend to use my low B quite a bit with the country band; however, since I don't plan to play it more than a few songs, I'm thinking that EADG may be the way to go.

I haven't a clue.

Help!

• Members

If the frail construction of the PVC bass requires low tension (hence the weedwhackers), wouldn't a standard set of double bass strings provide the low tention needed to maintain the integrity of the instrument when they're tuned down a fifth? In other words, If you got standard upright scale with high-tension gut or nylon (or even wound gut) and tuned them down to BEAD, that'd be close to the tension of weedwhackers at EADG.

• Members

Originally posted by SB

If the frail construction of the PVC bass requires low tension (hence the weedwhackers), wouldn't a standard set of double bass strings provide the low tention needed to maintain the integrity of the instrument when they're tuned down a fifth? In other words, If you got standard upright scale with high-tension gut or nylon (or even wound gut) and tuned them down to BEAD, that'd be close to the tension of weedwhackers at EADG.

Sorry I haven't been paying attention...

That is an excellent idea if you have a set lying around or can find them cheap. The main reason for not using steel URB strings is that they are really expensive >$100 for the cheapest set, and gut cost even more. Also, these strings are nylon. The bass could however be strengthened (probably, I think so) to take the tension of steels by attaching a square tube of aluminum inside the neck piece.

The main reason is the $20 shipped to my door price of the Hillbilly slap strings.

Archived