OT - Reinstalling Windows XP

Archon_113

• Members

I'm still having problems with my computer and I think reinstalling XP is the only way to fix it (I can't even log on to windows now), but will this mean I lose all of my files on the computer by doing so? If I press F8 and choose to boot from the Windows CD during startup, then install windows again from there, will I still keep all of my files?

• Members

i use a CD burner to keep all my files...and i dont have a lot so its not full..but that would suit me if i had to do a reinstall

dont you have to uninstall first..?

i tried once to install XP while it was on my pc and all hell broke loose...i ended up with 2 sets of files...

the tech did the clean up for me but i dont really understand loading an operating system...i thought the files would just over write that which was already there...

best of luck with it...

but the CD backup of your files i would think is necessary:)

• Members

When you do a reinstall, it will see the files that are already there. Then it will (probably) ask if it's okay to overwrite them, or if not, set up another similarly-named directory next to the current one. Here's where you can wind up with a double set of operating files.

When you first put in the disk, it may also give you the option to do a clean formatting first. If you chose this, everything will be wiped. If not, it won't. However, a lot of programs will not work correctly if you don't reinstall them over the reinstalled XP.

Also, XP has service pack 2 out. It's free from MS direct. Word from MS is that it's supposed to be available free from dealers and computer stores, but my experience is they'll tell you it's only available if you buy the full boxed program. On the MS website, you can order a CD version. They said it would take several weeks to get, but I had my copy in about 10 days.

SP2 is huge, so don't bother trying to download it, unless you have both a VERY fast connection AND don't mind walking away from your machine for a long time while it downloads.

SP2 overwrites nearly all of the XP files. So it's like doing a full install to begin with. It does give the option to change directories. But it doesn't give the option to wipe your disk clean.

Before installing it, you need to run any spyware and virus checker programs, just to ensure you're not going to wind up with a bigger mess.

• Members

Thanks, I try.

And the fact that my statement is 100% true doesnt hurt a bit.

Seriously: Trying to troubleshoot computers on the internet is a pretty hit or miss affair. My suggestion he buy a Mac is the best one on this thread. He probably got a worm or virus, or has so much spy/malware that his machine shut down. Macs dont get any of that.

I use both platforms on a regular basis and I fix Windows machines for a living. Apple's seriously got the upper hand with both hardware and their OS these days. Unless he's a gamer he would be much better off. So would you.

If he games a lot, then he should stick to XP. If thats not the case, then he should switch.

Sorry to be like, so assertive and {censored}, but the number of infested worm/virus Windows machines I fix is basically mind numbing. If a product was as defective as Windows and it wasnt software, like say, a car, you would be screaming for your money back. I dont understand the mindset of setting yourself up for repeated ass screwing time after time. If Ford made a truck where the wheels fell off of it, every 20,000 miles, would you buy a Ford next time?

I just dont get the mindset. You dont HAVE to use it. You can use Mac or Linux, unless you game and have to have all the latest titles. Then I see the point.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Oh yeah, another Mac ayatollah, just what we need to help Archon.

I guess you will sign the check for him too ? It's not like Macs were cheap. Or worth the money, but that's another matter.

Exactly.

I love macs. I'm in no way saying he shouldn't use them. I'm saying that suggesting to him to buy one is a waste of everyone's time. They are not cost effective for most people, and that isn't going to change any time soon.

The only way you're "100% right" Tim, is if you look at your argument of "you can buy one of these and never have anymore Windows problems." In the same light, I am also 100% right.

But you see, you're not afterall, as he could eventually run Virtual PC. Then, he could easily have the windows problems again.

So, really, you weren't 100% right, but did fail to see the flaw in your own logic that makes you think telling people to buy a new computer is the best fix for their simple problem.

If I had the resources, I'd have a couple of macs, a couple of PCs, and a handful of random other systems to tinker with. But, as that's nowhere feasible, I will stick to PCs that I can build for around $200 that will do everything I want them to, including gaming. I never get any viruses or spyware, because I have good internet behavior.

You really feel that recommending to people to go out and spend a bunch of money that they don't have, on a computer that most people aren't familiar with makes sense?

• Members

Yes, I'm guilty as charged.

I didnt say I was 100% right, I said my statement was 100% TRUE. Truth and Right are different things.

Macs are demonstrably superior to PC's in every possible way as of now, with the exception of hardcore gamers.

I notice none of the helpful suggestions actually would up helping the OP, so mine was as good as the rest of it. He had to re-install all his stuff anyways.

My running count at work so far is 344 machines compromised is some type of worm or virus or mal/spyware that affected the computer enough to where it was affected enough to where the user had to send it in. This is roughly half of the machines I've worked on this year, and these are mobile computers!

I cant in good consience recommend or support a inferior product. Windows is absolutely inferior in every way to the current 10.4 OS X, and some distros of Linux are starting to get close to it.

So, yeah, I'm a big Mac fan, based on firsthand knowledge and use of their OS and hardware. How many "help me" threads have there been on this subject so far this year?

At some point you just have to question why {censored} is the way it is. Why do people keep going back to a inferior product?

• Members

You really feel that recommending to people to go out and spend a bunch of money that they don't have, on a computer that most people aren't familiar with makes sense?

Hell yeah I do. They can either spend the money they dont have on that, or they can spend the money they dont have on taking their box to people like me so we can deinfest their machine or reload it and charge them 90 to 150 dollars an hour billable time. Most users cant even reload Windows, and many of them got sold "pre-installed" versions they dont even have the CD ROMS for.

Mac Mini's start at 500 bucks. 2 repair jobs per year, which is a LOW number for a lot of my work, is enough to pay for one.

As for not knowing about OS X, if my 78 year old father can pick it up in 15 minutes never having had used it before, they can too. Better that than another trip to the PC doctor. Only 2 in 10 Windows users do their own repair work.

• Members

Originally posted by Tim in WV

Yes, I'm guilty as charged.

Macs are demonstrably superior to PC's in every possible way as of now, with the exception of hardcore gamers.

Well, I'm not going to continue to argue with someone who is so blinded by their own distaste for something as to think that their choice is "superior to PC's in every possible way".

Thanks for trying to help the guy though, I guess, as you seem to sincerely think you're doing something worthwhile.

• Members

YEAH, I DO, AND I AM.

It's the way I make my living. For >20+ years, fixing computers. The last 5 of them here.

I get paid for fixing the {censored}, day in and day out. I dont have any "distaste" for Windows machines except for what the users have to go through to use their computers. My last experience with Macs before they came out with the G5 was HORRIBLE.

They were old slow pieces of CRAP. I didnt recommened them to anyone, in fact I laughed at them. OS X was dog ass slow and the hardware looked good but sucked compared to the PC. But I was ok becuase i was with the majority view at the time (2000).

Apple's turned it around over the last 5 years and now they are the better choice for most people. Maybe Longhorn will change that, but it does not look good as of now. Even hard core windows guys like Paul Therrott are wondering.

Apple got back into the game when the G5 came out along with 10.3 OS X. Before that, they sucked.

• Members

My right mouse button and scroll wheel would have something to say about that.

In any case, your involvement in this thread is unnecessary. A guy walks into a mechanic with a transmission problem and the mechanic tries to sell him a new boat and a half-liter of freshly squeeze orange juice. Not exactly helping matters.

//S

• Members

This may be unnecessary as well, but it's a whole lot cheaper than buying a Mac. Or trying to fix a hosed XP install, UNLESS you are a heavy gamer since most of the latest and greatest games run on windows.

Linux, particularly Mandrake (now Mandriva), is so fricking easy to use and user-friendly that it is now as easy or easier to install than XP and it's free, and virtually immune to spyware and viruses. There is a learning curve but as I said they make most functions easy to learn and do.

• Members
Originally posted by THB_bassman

This may be unnecessary as well, but it's a whole lot cheaper than buying a Mac. Or trying to fix a hosed XP install, UNLESS you are a heavy gamer since most of the latest and greatest games run on windows.

Linux, particularly Mandrake (now Mandriva), is so fricking easy to use and user-friendly that it is now as easy or easier to install than XP and it's free, and virtually immune to spyware and viruses. There is a learning curve but as I said they make most functions easy to learn and do.

I thought about suggesting something like this, but thought better of it too, as it isn't really helping him with his windows problem. But, for the sake of discussion, have you tried ubuntu? I've been very impressed with it so far. Extremely easy to use, but it has some very nice features.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveyDevey

I thought about suggesting something like this, but thought better of it too, as it isn't really helping him with his windows problem. But, for the sake of discussion, have you tried ubuntu? I've been very impressed with it so far. Extremely easy to use, but it has some very nice features.

Actually I began my linux usage after a period of frustration with commercial software. Mostly windows.

Got my feet wet with Mandrake, moved to SuSE, then settled on Debian, which I believe is the Cadillac of distros. I am very happy with it, but I will keep your suggestion in mind for the future.

With respect to you, sometimes a car is just not worth trying to maintain, so it might be beneficial to suggest a different car.

JMHO. etc, etc:)

• Members

My right mouse button and scroll wheel would have something to say about that.

Mac's have been able to use both, without installing a single driver, since 2000.

My argument is only a Pro-Mac argument becuase thats what I think would work the best for the majority of typical computer users. If Linux was a clearly superior system, I'd go with that and recommend same. Hell, if Windows was superior to OS X I'd say so. In fact, I think XP was better than any version of OS X before 10.3 - but 10.3 was such a leap forward for Apple.

Also, it needs to be said that even with OS X, if the platform didnt have such superior apps for creative tasks for it, I probably would not be such a booster. There's a {censored} LOAD of forumites that would love Garageband, but they'll never get to use it. That app is tailor made to musicians and bands like what are found here.

You can find examples like that all up and down the platform.

• Members

If Linux was a clearly superior system, I'd go with that and recommend same.

You're the tech, I'm not, and I have no experience using mac.

Is it better than linux in your opinion?

Consider cost, available programs and the time and effort it takes people to learn - who have never used anything but microsoft.

Archived