L-2500 Tribute: A Review

Thunderbroom

• Members

tbtribute01c.jpg

Features: 9.5

My Tribute has 2 Fullerton-made G&L Magnetic Field Design humbucking pickups stuck in a beautiful slab of Swamp Ash. It's got a Hard Rock Maple with a Maple fingerboard. The neck has a 12" radius and is 1-3/4" at the nut. It sports traditional open-back tuners. The bridge is the G&L designed Saddle Lock design that can be strung string-through-body or string-through-bridge.. The Tribute has active/passive electronics, 3-way mini-toggle pickup selector, series/parallel mini-toggle, preamp control mini-toggle (off/on/on with high frequency EQ boost)

This is the same setup as the MIA model. From my understanding the pots are different between the MIK and MIA models. These basses are notorious for scratchy pots. Mine does not exhibit this yet (and hopefully won't)

Sound: 9.5

This is the reason that I bought this bass. I've got a MIA L-2000 with the jazz neck and love it. It's about the only bass I play. I wanted to replace my Peavey 5 string. This bass was the obvious choice.

Action, Fit, & Finish: 9

I bought this bass used. It's less than three months old. The previous owner had it set up well. The action is low like I like it. I'm floored by the fit/finish. It is easily on par with the L-2000 that I own (at a fraction of the price). I actually think the body on my Tribute looks better than my MIA.

I think what blows me away the most is how tight the B string is. I sold a 35" scale Peavey to finance this one. The B string was relatively tight on it, but pales compared the Tribute (34" scale).

Overall Rating: 9.5

I'm sure this bass isn't for everyone, but its the right one for me. In the past, I've played some other 5 stringers (Lakland Skyline, Pedulla. Ibanez) at dealers but I never really liked them. I like this one and highly recommend it.

Archived