Call me nuts, part 2...

bassman1956

• Members

Well, like I stated yesterday, I was over at Dan Lenard's place a looong time! Played about 3-1/2 hours, several basses. Mostly Jerzy's, but a few others too.

Here's a long write-up of all the ones I tried. With pics and links. Since there were so many, I'll only mention major points of the different models.

First, while he changed out a battery in one I was really interested in, I played this Jerzy Drozd Prodigy Limited Edition VII .

drozd18_fullfront.jpg

This was my first experience ever with a seven string. With the 3 carbon bars and 2 truss rods, the neck is amazingly stiff and thin, almost like it's an aluminum extrusion. Loved the tone. This has a piezo in addition to the magnetic pickups. High quality on the piezo. I loved the tone blended with the magnetics. An aircraft carrier of a fretboard, but very easy to play, with nice clean action.

Next was this Jerzy Drozd Signature V .

drozd29_front2.jpg

This was the one I went to play. Plays like buttah! Action was way too low for me, wound up with a lot of finger & fret noise. But very impressive overall. And I know it's too busy for some of you, but overall, I thought it was great!

Also played this Jerzy Drozd Excellency IV 4-string with the DiMarzio P's.

drozd26_body.jpg

Really like this bass! Just am looking for more of a fiver , but this keeps popping it's head up. Sounds almost a HB version of a P with these pups! Impressive!

Next was this Jerzy Drozd Excellency IV/36 fretless

namm_excellencyIVquiltedmaple.jpg

Maybe 'cuz I've done so much upright stuff in the past, but it was very very easy for me to take on this fretless, and it plays great! Pickup is a split single-blade, but a true double-blade HB comes along with it. Great tone, deep without being too deep. Add piezo to this, and I'd think I've got what I'm hunting.

Also played one of these 2 a bit, just don't remember which one, but I think it was the sixer:

namm_sequelVMIDi.jpg

namm_legendVIMIDI.jpg

Both are set up for MIDI. Dan was taking them to a music shop today to find out more on how and how well that worked.

This is mostly the Jerzy Drozd stuff, although I may be missing one in here. I keep remembering a 6-string I don't see on the pages. Oh well. My head's still swimming. :D

This was a very cool day indeed!

• Members

Okay, now for the other brands I played.

Dan had 2 Stambaugh's I tried. Similar to these:

stambaugh2front.jpg

Both were custom-ordered for shipment to Sweden. One was a 4-string single cutaway fretless, subtle lines, single HB with piezo, all passive. Had a switch between 2 cap values, which altered the midrange a bit. Although the body looks large, it's chambered inside, and lighter than it looks. Very comfortable, nicely balanced. Very comfortable on my lap too. This sort of proved my notion of single HB with piezo on a fretless. Not as dark as you would imaging, sang nice. Very narrow jazz-like neck, very fast playing.

The other was a 5-string double cutaway fretless, subtle lines, single HB with active 3-band electronics. Played easily, nice tone. Both of the Stambaugh's were surprising, as they're a bit of an ugly duckling. But, at say $2200, and a 6 to 10 week wait, with great sound and playability, worth considering.

Next, I tried this MTD 535-24

mtd2_front.jpg

This was a sleeper hit. Also looks much better in person. Skinny frets, clean-sounding. Neck is ash, not that small, feels different, plays very quietly. Also, wide range of tones on this, very focused and defined, really able to dial in what tone you want. This, and the 2 4-string fretlesses, were the surprises of the day.

Last, just before I headed out the door, I tried this Takamine B-10 ABG

B10_lg1.jpg

With the endpin, can play it sort of like a cello, or without, like a guitar. Very solid, upright feel. Neck and fretboard feel more like an upright, thicker and rounder, and the high action helps. Very articulate, very deep, tone has more of the depth of an upright than what you'd expect for an ABG. Pre-amp has great range, including 20 preset memories.

All in all, I was way too impressed with some of this equipment. I had originally gone just to check out the Jerzy Signature V. Awesome fretted 5! What really blows me away about his basses are that the necks feel incredibly stiff and solid, while the whole bass feels quite comfortable.

I think i think i think mannn..... Overstimulated!

For a fretted bass, it's between the Signature 5 and the MTD 535-24. What surprised me was how great both of the 4-string fretlesses played!

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

So which did you bring home?

:D :D :D

None, yet...

What I'm faced with is:

Option A, have him adjust the action on the Sig V and the 535, and have a play-off between them, and

Option B, start concentrating on the fretless instead, 'cuz they were way too comfortable and easy for me to play.

:confused::D

• Members

I'm sure he'll gladly adjust the action if you're serious about purchasing from him. Those are nice looking basses...all of them...but pricey from my vantage point.

If you're lovin' 'em...go for it. Hell, get one of the two fretted and pick up one of the fretless also!

:)

• Members

Thanks Guys. Yes, even you Ox. ;)

Well, I think that it boils down to the original thought being getting a fiver fretted. Everything else is secondary. So yeah, looks like I'll have to ask for a play-off.

Mean while, it REALLY showed me I have to get off my big ol' buttt and finish that Warmoth Gecko fretless! :D

• Members

Gotta tell you though, it's not like the money's just laying around. This is a big purchase, and I'm taking it seriously. Hell, I'm looking at spending more on one bass than on all but the last 2 of my cars!

And I was worried about what I have in the Gecko? :D

• Members

Originally posted by bassman1956

Mean while, it REALLY showed me I have to get off my big ol' buttt and finish that Warmoth Gecko fretless!
:D

Yeah, what he said!:D

Sounds like your are taking a smart approach to a bass like these, and you will no doubt end up with a great bass for you.

• Members

Originally posted by chris dax

drozd18_fullfront.jpg

jeeez, what a beast.....it looks like it weighs 50 lbs.....

Yeah, but it's not!

No heavier than my Aria 5-string, maybe not even that much. And with 2 truss rods and 3 carbon fiber rods, he's able to make the neck very thin, so it's much lighter and much more playable than you might think. I was vey supprised, and I had never played a 6 or 7-string before.

And yeah, L-, that's what I'm trying to pull off in the long run. I'll let ya know if I get there! :D

Archived