I need help with my amp...

Jonny Five

• Members

Well, that's the only thing I can come up with without taking it into the amp doctor. Perhaps I'm doing something really stupid, and that's what is wrong.

Here's the problem. around 75% of the time, I plug in, turn the amp on and it works fine. The other 25% of the time, I turn it on, and my rig doesn't produce sound. The amp is receiving the signal, 'cause you can see the various LCDs light up when a bass is played, but no signal is going to the speakers. When it does work, there's usually a 2-3 second gap between the amp switching on, and the click of the speakers warming up. I'm not sure if it's some weird saftey cut off, or if my amp just needs to be kicked in the teeth. We just played a show, and it worked fine for me, but afterwards, one of the following bands could not get it to switch on. We had three bass players and two guitarists scratching their heads.

It's a Carvin R600 with a carvin 2x10 cab, not sure of the model on that guy. I've consulted the manual, and i can't find a bloody thing. But i've often been known to miss stuff in readings. Any suggestions would be amazing... I'm hoping it's just 'cause i'm being a dumbass.

• Members

Originally posted by Jonny Five

Overheating? hmmmmmm... What puzzles me is it only does it when i try to switch it on. It never cuts out while i'm playing.

I'm no expert, but I have heard those horror stories about Carvin heads... Have you tried contacting Carvin?

• Members

the Carvin R series seems to have a pretty bad reputation when it comes to reliability, etc. i know a lot of amps have a feature that mutes the sound for afew seconds after the power is turned on, to spare the speakers from the "pop" sound. i think maybe that little "soft start" feature is acting up.

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

I'm no expert, but I have heard those horror stories about Carvin heads... Have you tried contacting Carvin?

Oy... not yet. Probably the best option. Thanks for all your help!

• Members

Bikehorn may be onto something. Whatever the cause, Carvin may be your only option. I have tried hard to find a local amp shop that would take a look at a Carvin guitar amp I have that fried itself, and as soon as you say the C word you're out of luck. No one will touch them, as evidently Carvin goes out of their way to make it hard or impossible for the local shops to get support or parts to work on the Carvin gear. You are most likely going to have to ship it back, at your own expense of course.

I play, or rather I have, a R1000. Same exact head as the 600 and I would never trust the thing for a gig. If you ask me, try to sell your R600 for whatever you can, save the shipping money and buy a better and more reliable head. Also don't consider that R600 as anything over 200-300 watts max in your comparisons with other heads. One to check into would be the Ashdown that Avatar sells, or something comparable to it. Good luck...

Archived