Any Opinions on Fender Musicmaster?

Cortfan

• Members

I was offered a dead mint Musicmaster w/new strings and original case for $250. Should I pull the trigger on this short scale bass? It weighs about 7 pounds. The original owner bought it new, and never played it over a few hours. I think my shoulder would appreciate it after the 2nd set. It sounds and plays great, btw.

• Members

They are great.

They lack ''cred'' to some due to their diminutive size, but if you sond suffer from SDS (Short Dick Syndrome) you should be fine.

Not the most versatile of insturments with the single single and all, but they soudn like a bass, and in a band situation no one really cares much more than that.

Go mad, and go hard.:)

• Members

I think they usually go for around 250-300 plus S&H on ebay, anything priced above that doesn't sell. They're really comfortable, and they don't sound half bad, IMHO. I'd say go for it. If not, you prolly could sell it on the bay and make a profit of 10-20 beans.

• Members

For $250 in mint condition, a Musicmaster is a great investment. You'd probably want to play it rather than sell it, though.

Do a search at a site like gbase.com. You'll see that the prices of Musicmasters, Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Broncos, etc., are currently going through the roof. Shoot, last year I paid $1,100 for my lefty Mustang bass. That's $100 more than the Stingray I got last week.

• Members

Thanks for all your replies. It is dead mint, light as a feather, and I only need about 5 or 6 different sounds. I have another twist-he has a closet mint Kustom Bass III (135 s.s. watts) amp head with a Bass IV 2-15 speaker cab with stock Cervin Vegas. Covers included, dead mint, except the covers are dusty and show a few scrapes, no tears, These are black tolex, not tuck and rolled, and are some of the last amps coming out of Chanute, Kansas. Thank God, my wife is out of town this week. I can get a Peavey Firebass, an Acoustic 370, and a GK sound out of this amp by rolling the voice knob.

• Members

They're absolute crap. But I'll never ever sell mine, and I'd jump on that one, given the chance! :D

Consider upgrading the pickup and pots, though.

Cool thing about them is you get up around the 12th fret and you can bend like crazy! :D

• Members

I mean in combination with my POD. I don't need the bass to do all the work. After cleaning up the speaker and input jacks, this rig is crystal clear and meaty. I think this Kustom cab weighs even more than my Bassman cabs. I 'll probably leave it in the studio, and stick with the Bose at our normal gigs.

Archived