The Marshall Tucker Band Appreciation Thread

mike fitzwell

• Members

mtb_rum_poster.jpg

I've been listening to alot of Marshall Tucker Band lately and have come to really appreciate the tasty lines that Tommy Caldwell put down before his death in 1980. A talented groove master among a group of great musicians, which included his brother Toy who played lead guitar with a very unusual thumb picking method that blows my mind to watch. Tommy's fat 70's P bass tone really shines through on tracks like "Ramblin" and "This Ol' Cowboy". Good stuff--I'd call them "southern rock with a twist".

If you get a chance, check out their DVD "Live from the Garden State 1981". It was recorded for MTV (crazy huh?) a year after Tommy's death. His successor, Franklin Wilkie, is no slouch either!

• Members

One of the forgotten Greats of early rock. Southern Rock as a Genre' died many years ago and bands like MT are all but forgotten, but these guys were simply great musicians.

• Members

"Fire on the Mountain" is my fave. Cross Canadian did a cover of it sometime last fall when I saw them. Started out just on electric guitar, then the bass came in on the first chorus.

Damn sweet.

• Members

They were a St. Louis favorite in the 70's and earily 80's. I would see them almost every year. The last time I saw them I believe was at Six Flags. Great memories.

Charlie Daniels would come through about once a year also. I was at his show the night Lynard Skynard's plan crashed. He came out and dedicated his show to them that night but we had know idea what that ment at the time.

• Members

Originally posted by The Insomniac

They were a St. Louis favorite in the 70's and earily 80's. I would see them almost every year. The last time I saw them I believe was at Six Flags. Great memories.

Charlie Daniels would come through about once a year also. I was at his show the night Lynard Skynard's plan crashed. He came out and dedicated his show to them that night but we had know idea what that ment at the time.

I was driving through the small town of Alhambra, Illinois this past weekend and I saw a sign for these guys playing there soon. I was surprised. I don't know if it's a fair or what, but there was a banner on their fairgrounds that said "Marshall Tucker Band". I don't remember the event or date.

I've never heard them that I know of...

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

I've never heard them that I know of...

Chris

Yes, seriously fix that. Their catalog is much much deeper than their few hits they had.

I'm glad to see there's some love still out there for what these guys brought to the southern rock table back in the late 70s.

• Members

This is one of my all time favorite "I'm {censored}-faced on bourbon" songs.

Well I'm ridin' along

Singin' the same ol' cowboy song

That's been sung a hundred times before

Ain't got nothin' but my name

And I'm the only man I know to blame

But I'm livin' I'm happy and I'm free

Just listen to the wind blow

Let it blow let it blow

Sand over my trail

I got my saddle on the ground

And that ol' moon he can still be found

Hidin' in the desert sky

I like simple things in life like a prairie breeze

A good stout horse between my knees

Just bein' alone just bein' me

And when I die let me die

With a dream in my mind

A smile on my face and no trouble behind

And no cross on my grave

To show my restin' place

So I can listen to the wind blow

Let it blow let it blow

Sand over my trail

I got my saddle on the ground

And that ol' moon he can still be found

Hidin' in the desert sky

Won't you bury me with my chaps on

And my six-gun strapped to my side

So I can watch the moon a-hidin'

In the desert sky

Hidin' in the desert sky

Hidin' in the desert sky

Hidin' in the desert sky

• Members

Originally posted by Sixgun77

Thanks for this thread, now I'm going to go crank up some Georgia Satellites. It's been a long time since I heard them too.

Don't forget a little Atlanta Rhythm Section while you're at it.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

Don't forget a little Atlanta Rhythm Section while you're at it.

I picked up ARS's Greatest Hits a couple of weeks ago in an Eckerd in Manhattan's Financial district in NYC of all places! Impulse buy, right next to the gum and candy bars. Good stuff.

I saw the MTB last year in Albany, NY when they opened for Charlie Daniels (CD was awesome, btw). Anyway, I love their old recorded stuff, but they were terrible that night. I'd heard 100 bar bands do "Can't You See" better. It was a real let down.

[corrected 'this year' to 'last year']

• Members

I've never heard of them, but based on the context I'm going to give them a listen today.

The bass player for ARS was a monster (both in chops and looks - he was one ugly dude). Champagne Jam and Another Man's Woman had cool bass solos which is rare for pop/rock tunes. They did a killer version of Spooky also.

• Members

I've never heard of them, but based on the context I'm going to give them a listen today.

Every heard Champagne Jam, So Into You (Can't think of Nothing Else), or Imaginary Lover? That's ARS. Usually kinda laid back sound.

• Members

Originally posted by bonscottvocals

I saw the MTB last year in Albany, NY when they opened for Charlie Daniels (CD was awesome, btw). Anyway, I love their old recorded stuff, but they were terrible that night. I'd heard 100 bar bands do "Can't You See" better. It was a real let down.

[corrected 'this year' to 'last year']

The Marshall Tucker Band is nothing but a cover band at this point. Tommy Caldwell (bass) and Toy Caldwell (guitar) were the heart of the band and they are both dead. I believe the singer, Doug Gray, is the only original member left.

• Members

I believe the singer, Doug Gray, is the only original member left.

And his voice was total crap. It's not like he's Geddy Lee trying to hit notes that some kids can't hit. Too bad, really, that he couldn't even keep his voice up for such a simple tune.

But you know, I'm a musician and a singer to boot. Looking out at the crowd, you would have thought Bach was back and performing a concerto. The crowd loved them.

• Members

Originally posted by bonscottvocals

And his voice was total crap. It's not like he's Geddy Lee trying to hit notes that some kids can't hit. Too bad, really, that he couldn't even keep his voice up for such a simple tune.

My brother said the same thing about Doug's voice when he saw them a year or two ago. :( Nowadays they're pretty much milking every last ounce they can out of their past success. Same goes for Skynyrd IMO.

But I've got to say the Allman Brothers probably have the strongest lineup since Duane and Berry died. It's a shame Dickey Betts isn't still in the group but the combo of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks is pretty hard to beat. Throw in Oteil and you've got a hell of a threesome. I'm planning to see them this July at Summerfest in Milwaukee. :cool:

• Members

The bass player for ARS was a monster (both in chops and looks - he was one ugly dude). Champagne Jam and Another Man's Woman had cool bass solos which is rare for pop/rock tunes. They did a killer version of Spooky also.

I have been looking for a CD version of Red Tape (with Another Man's Woman on it) and have had no luck. I think I have a cassette tape of that album somewhere but sure would like to find it on CD.

• Members

Originally posted by mike fitzwell

My brother said the same thing about Doug's voice when he saw them a year or two ago.
:(
Nowadays they're pretty much milking every last ounce they can out of their past success. Same goes for Skynyrd IMO.

They must have gone south, so to speak. THey sounded great when I saw them in '99. ZZ Top followed them and was excellent as well.

Archived