acoustic bass strings

besamicool

• Members

First of all: WELCOME TO THIS FORUM !!!

As an answer to your question, someone here (Thrashjazz if I remember well) uses flatwounds on his acoustic bass guitar and loves the sound he gets.

Personnally, I prefer the sound of acoustic bass strings (like acoustic guitar strings, but for bass) on acoustic bass guitars, but flats are useable... My guess, though, is that the sound of an acoustic bass should bass less loud with flats, but Thrash-man should be able to confirm that speculation of mine...

I'm going to buy an acoustic shortly, what do you have ?

• Members

I once threw some flats on my Martin when changing strings just for the hell of it. They were only on for 30 minutes or so but I didn't like the sound as much as with regular acoustic bass guitar strings. Lost some definition.

oh, welcome to the forum!!!!:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by basshunter

I once threw some flats on my Martin when changing strings just for the hell of it. They were only on for 30 minutes or so but I didn't like the sound as much as with regular acoustic bass guitar strings. Lost some definition.

oh, welcome to the forum!!!!
:cool:

Lucky guy with a Martin... If only I had the 2000$ :(

Awww... I'm gonna get something nice in my price range anyways...:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by The Unknown

First of all: WELCOME TO THIS FORUM !!!

As an answer to your question, someone here (Thrashjazz if I remember well) uses flatwounds on his acoustic bass guitar and loves the sound he gets.

Thanks for the shout out :D Welcome besa...

Actually I use tapewounds. They feel very smooth and they sound A LOT better than phosphor bronze strings IMO. Gives it a kind of classical guitar feel and tone.

I don't think regular flats would work too well, especially if you play it unplugged... they are strongest in the lows and that's where most ABG's are pretty weak.

• Members

Lucky guy with a Martin... If only I had the 2000$
:(

Awww... I'm gonna get something nice in my price range anyways...

I was crazy...what can I say? Nice bass though...

Hey, I just remembered that I forgot to look up the answer to your Ampeg question last week...I'll try to remember to look it up tonight!!! Sorry bro...

• Members

Originally posted by Thrash Jazz

Thanks for the shout out
:D
Welcome besa...

Actually I use tapewounds. They feel very smooth and they sound A LOT better than phosphor bronze strings IMO. Gives it a kind of classical guitar feel and tone.

I don't think regular flats would work too well, especially if you play it unplugged... they are strongest in the lows and that's where most ABG's are pretty weak.

And tapewounds... do you keep definition and loudness with these ?

• Members

I have Fender tapes on it now... I didn't choose Fenders for any reason in particular, it's just that they were the only brand the store had. :p I'm pretty happy with them and would buy them again, though.

IMO the tapewounds were louder than the phosphor bronzes for sure. They aren't as bright and "zingy", but they do have a good top end. They have a less abrasive sound, but still with plenty of definition.

Also, your hands won't get that nasty coppery smell from playing :D

• Members

Luck had nothing to do with it. He robbed the 2 local liquor stores religously until he had the funds to get it. Don't sit back waiting on the lotto to get what you want, get out there and make it happen!

• Members

Originally posted by lug

Luck had nothing to do with it. He robbed the 2 local liquor stores religously until he had the funds to get it. Don't sit back waiting on the lotto to get what you want, get out there and make it happen!

Yeah, as long as it's not the liquor store in Your neighbor hood, right? :p

• Members

Originally posted by bassman1956

Yeah, as long as it's not the liquor store in
Your
neighbor hood, right?
:p

Have you seen my equipment collection? Trust me, all the liquor stores in my area are tapped out.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

Have you seen my equipment collection? Trust me, all the liquor stores in my area are tapped out.

I'd be afraid to try and rob a liquor store in Texas, what with all the heavy artillery they probably have in there just waiting for someone to try it...

Much easier for Lug though... all he has to do is say "hand over the cash or I'll PLAY MY BASS AT YOU!!!"

• Members

thanx for the input ........are tapes different than flatwounds.........and yes green shag u got me figgered out......u musa be an italiano...........

noone is in my tree...........i mean it must be high although

• Members

Originally posted by besamicool

thanx for the input ........are tapes different than flatwounds.........and yes green shag u got me figgered out......u musa be an italiano...........

nah, half mexican gringo combo...#9 on the combo menu....:D

• Members

Originally posted by basshunter

Hey, I just remembered that I forgot to look up the answer to your Ampeg question last week...I'll try to remember to look it up tonight!!! Sorry bro...

Hey, don't worry about it... In fact, it was an ad I saw, the guy was asking 200$ for a B15N Cabinet... I e-mailed him... It was the amp I think, and got sold right away... I was a day late :o

• Members

Originally posted by besamicool

Tapes are basically flatwounds wrapped in nylon tape. You can tell them from other strings easily because they are a different colour, usually black as far as I know.

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

+1

Which is exactly how I wound up with the MK5!

Archived