RIP Frank "The Riddler" Gorshin

Bonoman

• Members

BURBANK, California (AP) -- Actor Frank Gorshin, the impressionist with 100 faces best known for his Emmy-nominated role as the Riddler on the old "Batman" television series, has died. He was 72.

Gorshin's wife of 48 years, Christina, was at his side when he died Tuesday at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, his agent and longtime friend, Fred Wostbrock, said Wednesday.

"He put up a valiant fight with lung cancer, emphysema and pneumonia," Mrs. Gorshin said in a statement.

Despite dozens of television and movie credits, Gorshin will be forever remembered for his role as the Riddler, Adam West's villainous foil in the question mark-pocked green suit and bowler hat on "Batman" from 1966-69.

"It really was a catalyst for me," Gorshin recalled in a 2002 Associated Press interview. "I was nobody. I had done some guest shots here and there. But after I did that, I became a headliner in Vegas, so I can't put it down."

West said the death of his longtime friend was a big loss.

"Frank will be missed," West said in a statement. "He was a friend and fascinating character."

Gorshin earned another Emmy nomination for a guest shot on "Star Trek."

In 2002, Gorshin portrayed George Burns on Broadway in the one-man show "Say Goodnight Gracie." He used only a little makeup and no prosthetics.

"I don't know how to explain it. It just comes," he said. "I wish I could say, 'This is step A, B and C.' But I can't do that. I do it, you know. The ironic thing is I've done impressions all my life -- I never did George Burns."

Gorshin's final performance will be broadcast on Thursday's CBS-TV series "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte

I remember watching his stand up on cable back in the day...

RIP
:(

For me, "back in the day" was only 4 VHS stations and 2 fuzzy UHF stations. Cables were something mass transit was dragged along by, ala San Francisco.

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte

I remember watching his stand up on cable back in the day...he was really good. Funny, could sing, great impressions.

RIP
:(

Hey Van, what are you doing posting on this thread? You're supposed to be depressed and confused over on that other thread...

• Members

Originally posted by Bluesman0511

But seriously folks, how many of you remember the role he played on Star Trek with the black and white grease paint on his face. He almost made that look real...

I do! I always LOVED his "Riddler" tho - put that fool Jim Carey's Riddle to shame! And that crazy laugh...

Goodbye Frank! We miss you!

• Members

I watched the old "Batman" series first run and forever in reruns. Now, one of my twin 5 year olds loves the old show, and I have hunted down all the tapes and dvd's I could find.

God bless you, Frank for giving us something to laugh about, and you'll be remembered in the mind of my child.

• Members

But seriously folks, how many of you remember the role he played on Star Trek with the black and white grease paint on his face. He almost made that look real...

He was a great actor, we'll miss him.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyMethany

I do! I always LOVED his "Riddler" tho - put that fool Jim Carey's Riddle to shame! And that crazy laugh...

Goodbye Frank! We miss you!

I think the 90's animated series Riddler was pretty well based off of his version.

• Members

Originally posted by Bonoman

Gorshin's final performance will be broadcast on Thursday's CBS-TV series "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."

I just saw that tonight. He had a small but memorable part. He did some impersonations in his role. He looked healthy and alert.

RIP

• Members

Originally posted by The Insomniac

I just saw that tonight. He had a small but memorable part. He did some impersonations in his role. He looked healthy and alert.

RIP

I thought that too! I can't believe after watching that that he was as ill as he was! Truly the mark of a great actor.

• Members

Hey Van, what are you doing posting on this thread? You're supposed to be depressed and confused over on that other thread...

Yea yer right, I should be wallowing in self pity and dispair. I'll get back to that...

Archived