It has been almost a year....

el_duderino676

• Members

Ok, let me clarify in case people didn't understand me. I started playing bass full time about a year ago, but a little over two years ago is when I first got a bass, but I was more focused on trumpet then. Only a year ago, I gave up trumpet and started focusing on bass. Best decision ever.

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

...since I went to bass full time. I wouldn't have thought about it, but it just popped into my mind as I was practicing some chordish stuff. I am so glad that I gave up trumpet for the low end.
:D

That is all.

Bassist for about 4 years serious, 7 total.

But, why the hell would you give up trumpet? I've been playing trumpet longer than bass, and I ASSURE you, the sense of melody you get from learning a little trumpet (or sax or any horn really) will translate DIRECTLY to your bass playing. It will also help on your soloing if you know how to phrase like a horn player-something many bass players fail to do which could add a lot to their playing.

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

But, why the hell would you give up trumpet? I've been playing trumpet longer than bass, and I ASSURE you, the sense of melody you get from learning a little trumpet (or sax or any horn really) will translate DIRECTLY to your bass playing. It will also help on your soloing if you know how to phrase like a horn player-something many bass players fail to do which could add a lot to their playing.

I vaguely remember reading that Jeff Berlin would transcribe and study saxophone parts to improve his bass playing, and the first time I heard him I thought that he had a very melodic style.

• Members

Ok, the main readon that I quit trumpet was because I grew tired of it and it wasn't fun anymore.

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

Ok, the main readon that I quit trumpet was because I grew tired of it and it wasn't fun anymore.

Well of COURSE its not! Few people hear trumpets everyday playing really cool things. Compared to trumpet, its relatively easy to find interesting bass music!

Go listen to the trumpet solo on "Muevo los Huesos" by Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, the album is Swingin' For The Fences.

Believe me, if bass is your main instrument, you HAVE to know what everyone else in the band is doing. Wanna play funk? Learn some drumming, it'll help you keep rhythm. Metal or blues? Learn some guitar, or how to sing a little. Jazz? Gotta know what the horns, drums, guitars, piano etc. are ALL doing!:eek:

• Members

Well of COURSE its not! Few people hear trumpets everyday playing really cool things. Compared to trumpet, its relatively easy to find interesting bass music!

Go listen to the trumpet solo on "Muevo los Huesos" by Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, the album is Swingin' For The Fences.

Believe me, if bass is your main instrument, you HAVE to know what everyone else in the band is doing. Wanna play funk? Learn some drumming, it'll help you keep rhythm. Metal or blues? Learn some guitar, or how to sing a little. Jazz? Gotta know what the horns, drums, guitars, piano etc. are ALL doing!
:eek:

Well, I am glad that everyone has their own way of doing things. I do plan on learning some guitar though, though in the situation I am in it wouldn't matter much, since the stuff we do isn't really set in stone and it just happens sorta apotaneously.

Archived