What does "spirituality" mean to you?

BEAD

• Members

My Merriam Webster collegiate Dictoinary says "Things of a spiritual, ecclesiastical, or religious nature"

So... ecclesiastical nature doesn't mean much to me, and the rest doesn't seem helpful, unless I'm looking too hard.

Ecclesiastical: of or relating to a church esp. as an established institution.

WTF does that mean? What about people who don't go to church? How are they spiritual? If spirituality is a combination of spirituality (which is irritating as a definition) religion and ecclesiasticism, what does that mean for people who say "I'm spiritual, but I'm not religious."

Hmmm?

----------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I'm asking sincerely here. I know that sometimes people ask questions like this and play dumb to provoke responses, I'm not doing that.

:)

• Members

Spirtual, for me, means being able to credit a higher force with something major in the universe, without having to subscribe to any religious doctrine or church (which would be "religious," for me).

And, with the next post, you will likely get a different answer. I'm pretty sure its one of those things that means something different to anyone.

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Spirtual, for me, means being able to credit a higher force with something major in the universe, without having to subscribe to any religious doctrine or church (which would be "religious," for me).

And, with the next post, you will likely get a different answer. I'm pretty sure its one of those things that means something different to anyone.

Well, I appreciate and value your opinion. I sorta wonder why I don't have one?

• Members

to me, spirituality means simply the belief in a higher power. I consider religions to be the part of spirituality for people who require a community as part of their belief.

I was raised a catholic and practice within that community, but I don't see any other religions as "wrong". I believe that every religion are basically acknowkledging the same thing in different ways.

so basically, i see spirituality as meaning the belief in a higher power.

may the force be with you. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

Well, I appreciate and value your opinion. I sorta wonder why I don't have one?

I think there are only two ways to have an opinion.

1. Be totally uninformed, hear one thing, and believe it.

"Gays are bad."

If you didn't know anything about homosexuals, you'd probably be agreeing with that.

2. Be informed with solid facts, hear various opinions, and come to a real opinion. Pretty self explanatory but it can take a while.

"Guns are bad."

"As more gun restrictions were passed during the 1990s, the murder rate dropped throughout the decade across the country."

And so forth. Not having an opinion means your probably somewhere between the two. You'll get an opinion in time.

Or you just don't care.:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by catphish

to me, spirituality means simply the belief in a higher power.

thats my idea of it too. beleiving in a higher power or believing that there is a 'reason' to the universe.

its not an easy question to answer

• Members

Or you just don't care.
:mad:

Well, now I don't. You happy?

I've read tons of peoples opinions of religion. Somewhere in my head I have this notion that spirituality is something different than agnosticism or creationism or secular humanitarianism or any other religion or religious group or religious affinity. Is it?

• Members

Somewhere in my head I have this notion that spirituality is something different than agnosticism or creationism or secular humanitarianism or any other religion or religious group or religious affinity. Is it?

yes

• Members

I've read tons of peoples opinions of religion. Somewhere in my head I have this notion that spirituality is something different than agnosticism or creationism or secular humanitarianism or any other religion or religious group or religious affinity. Is it?

geez i need a fricking dictionary to read half these bloody words:mad:

:D

• Members

yes

While nobody is an expert on spirituality, and everyone's definition is somewhat personal (very personal even?) would you mind helping me understand what the difference between religion and spirituality is to you?

• Members

Originally posted by badboybass

geez i need a fricking dictionary to read half these bloody words:mad:

I mask my insecurity by hiding behind big words.

:(

and my huge penis.

:cool:

• Members

Every human who has walked on the earth has asked themselves the question 'how did I come to exist?' Spirituality is a term to describe how a person answer's and explorer's that question, thereby it will mean something different for every person. Sometime's you find the answer's, sometimes the answer's find you. Eventually you will find your answer.

• Members

See, thats where the problem lies. I can give you my opinion, but I can't honestly answer your question.

Agnostic pretty much implies a belief in an Authority, however worship isn't a big part. Its kind of a background thing. Spirituality implies, to me, something more than that. Like, maybe you don't go to church on Sunday because you think all three major divisions of Christianity are full of {censored}, but you still worship somehow. Prayer, meditation, something. Thats spiritual.

Creationism tends to imply religion though this isn't necessarily so. Someone who is spiritual but doesn't know what to make of creationism, evolution, Natural Selection etc. will sit down and study the precepts of each.

God-or something like God-created us and pretty much everything else.

The universe came into existence, and through a series of events galaxies evolved and then planets and then organic molecules and eventually life.

I would say someone who is spiritual won't get bent out of shape with someone for disagreeing on something like this, since practically any set of values include not being violent unnecessarily.

Spiritualism is far larger than religion as well. A Buddhist, Muslim, Jew, Christian, and someone worshipping at the Temple Of Suck to the Lord Lug are all spiritual. Heck, some people will take bits and pieces out of each of these and combine them into their own form of worship (meditation five times daily to a God whose message was best delivered by Jesus, for example).

• Members

Originally posted by L-1329

Every human who has walked on the earth has asked themselves the question 'how did I come to exist?'

I've asked myself that, and the conclusion I've come to is "I don't know." It's not where I am on my journey, so far as I know. I think it's where I've arrived. I'm totally comfortable with not knowing where I come from. I just think that it's not something I can understand from my perspective. Like the ants in my kitchen can't comprehend my microwave.

I'm not trying to push my "religion" (if that's what my thought process is) on anyone. I just wonder, does this mean I lack spirituality?

I'm not having a crisis, I swear.

• Members

While nobody is an expert on spirituality, and everyone's definition is somewhat personal (very personal even?) would you mind helping me understand what the difference between religion and spirituality is to you?

in the simplest terms, to me, spirituality is the belief that there is something greater than ourselves that created us, or is our reason for exsisting. Religion is the need for a community to share those beliefs with. Some people don't need that sense of community, and others do.

G'night

• Members

I've asked myself that, and the conclusion I've come to is "I don't know." It's not where I am on my journey, so far as I know.

I think spirituality stems from human nature and the need for hope that there is something greater.

ok...g'night yall. God may or may not exsist, but one thing is for sure.....My alarm will go off in 6 hours and my boss most definitely exsists. :)

• Members

I think spirituality stems from human nature and the need for hope that there is something greater.

ok...g'night yall. God may or may not exsist, but one thing is for sure.....My alarm will go off in 6 hours and my boss most definitely exsists.

Heh. Get some sleep. Tomorrow is my first day off in two weeks, so I'm livin it up here tonight on hcbf.

:cool:

:(

• Members

Ah its OK. I spent about 7/8ths of my freshman year of college with HCBF to keep me company.

You should start a religion about your endowment. I hardly reach 4 fully erect.

sig

• Members

Spirituality is the recognition that there is more to a person than physical body and brain cells firing signals at each other, that a person has a spirit. I'd say it's opposed to materialism, the belief that the material world that you can see, measure, quantify is all there is.

It is also the quest to find out the true nature of your spirit and it's place in the universe. To me Jesus has been the teacher about spirituality who rings true. However, there are devil worshipers, nature worshipers, alien worshipers etc who are exploring spirituality. I believe atheists have spirits too, whether they accept that or not. Some of their pursuits may even spiritual in nature. Spiritual does not necessarily equal good or true.

Archived