Ampeg Portabass: anyone has experience with those ?

The Unknown

• Members

I have a PB112 cab, which I use with an Acoustic Image Clarus head.

It's a good cab for sure. It's pricey for a 1x12, but it's light, tough, and sounds great. It's not voiced like other Ampeg cabs but it still has some pretty good lows, although the tweeter sucks. It's not the world's most efficient cab, but it's definitely loud enough for most rehearsals and small gigs.

I haven't tried the combo but I have tried the 1x12 with the PB250 head - that would make a killer mini rig for sure.

Stay away from the PB110 though - it sounds REALLY thin.

• Members

Originally posted by Thrash Jazz

I have a PB112 cab, which I use with an Acoustic Image Clarus head.

It's a good cab for sure. It's pricey for a 1x12, but it's light, tough, and sounds great. It's not voiced like other Ampeg cabs but it still has some pretty good lows, although the tweeter sucks. It's not the world's most efficient cab, but it's definitely loud enough for most rehearsals and small gigs.

I haven't tried the combo but I have tried the 1x12 with the PB250 head - that would make a killer mini rig for sure.

Stay away from the PB110 though - it sounds REALLY thin.

I was just curious... No new amp for me in the near future really... But the B2 combo I got myself a few months ago (for when I don't wanna carry the SVT and the 8x10) is good, was not expensive but is quite heavy and has to sit in the backseet of my car since it can't get inside the trunk... In brief, it could be more pratical but it does the job... Maybe one day it'll be replaced, but I wanna keep that Ampeg tone at all cost when I do that...

• Members

Originally posted by The Unknown

I was just curious... No new amp for me in the near future really... But the B2 combo I got myself a few months ago (for when I don't wanna carry the SVT and the 8x10) is good, was not expensive but is quite heavy and has to sit in the backseet of my car since it can't get inside the trunk... In brief, it could be more pratical but it does the job... Maybe one day it'll be replaced, but I wanna keep that Ampeg tone at all cost when I do that...

I know that one - I used to have a B3 myself. The B series is really good. The Portas are more transparent - less of a mid push in the cabs that give them that Ampeg snarl. It still has a bit of that with the Porta head, and I imagine even more so if you pushed an SVT-II or something through it...

• Members

I have an old flip-top, ca 1962 or so...

It's in need of some repair and out of use right now, but it is what it is, and THAT is 'legendary!'

I checked out a couple of the modern Ampeg spin-offs (same basic size, power, etc) and was suitably impressed.

As for 'loud enough for practice', that question is relative to how loud you guys practice. IMO most people practice far TOO loud. 100w should be more than enough. If not, somebody's doing something wrong! (not standing in the window of thier speaker's output/playing too loud because they're a prick, an idiot or self-obsessed/etc, etc).

• Members

I have one of the 1x12 cabs. I run a mexi p-bass through a SWR Studio 220 into it. I really like the sound with this combo and it filled up the room nicely at the last performance (kinda coffee house like).

They were clearing out the cabs at the GC near my last year. They still had some 1x10s at one of them last I looked.

Archived