open mic nights....

ImaSmrtBaby

• Members

are these things even worth playing?

my band is signed up for one at 9:30 on June 6th at the Bottleneck in Lawrence, KS, but how many people actually show up to these things?

i guess it will be good if i can meet some bands that we could open for or play with.

• Members

At the time I was going every Thurs to our local open mic night, I was playing bass in a cover band while occupying the bass chair at my church. I used the open mic nights to play hand percussion ...and originals on solo piano when the rest of the group went on break to get high. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I strongly encourage regular attendance to your local open mic night.

• Members

Originally posted by j powell

i've been to some with 2 or 3 people there who weren't playing, and others that were packed out. killer networking opportunities.

thats what i'm thinking.

the lady said call back today after 3, so i called at 3:30 and all but one time slot was filled, so i imagine that it has to be at least kind of popular.

although 9:30 is the worst slot, i think it might be the first :o:(

• Members

As mentioned, they are great for networking.

How many people show up is usually hit or miss. The only real regulars tend to be people who are playing, or their friends (who will all probably leave after their buddy plays).

Actually, open mics can be pretty good promo. You usually only get 3 songs, so if you do well, people will be interested in hearing more.

On the downside, the sound usually sucks.

• Members

I started playing a few of these when I first started playing again. (I took a 12 year vacation from playing bass) anyway, I thought it was a good way to get used to playing in front of a crowd and break the ice. Now, I really wouldn't waste my time unless a friend asked me to do it...

• Members

thanks for all the advice fellas.

the place we're playing at is the Bottleneck, which is a pretty good club, a lot of bands have played there, and i've been to a few of their open mic nights, and the sound ain't half bad (ask Clatter what she thinks of it).

i'm hoping to find a couple good bands that we could open for.

any tips for moving around, i usually just wanna play the damn bass, and not worry about moving around too much. i don't want it to look forced or contrived, like i'm faking it. but then again, i don't wanna bore people, not that our songs are boring, we just dont' move around a whole hell of a lot. any advice? :D

• Members

Originally posted by FreestyleIntruder

I used to go to one every week to play with my mate's dad's blues band

That was some {censored}ing good groove training right there

yeah, the format is a little different though.

here, your band gets 30 minutes to play whatever the {censored} you wanna play.

i'm gonna stay after and talk to some of the bands, see if we can collaborate on something.

Archived